Professional Nursing Education
Professional nursing education at Millikin accurately reflects James Millikin’s vision of the university as an institution where the scientific, the practical, and the industrial shall have a place of equal importance, side by side, with the literary and the classical. Nursing is a profession recognized for its intentional blend of the rigorous application of scientific knowledge with the art of caring. The framework for the nursing curricula at Millikin incorporates the School of Nursing mission, goals, and outcomes under the core concepts of person, nursing, environment, and health.
Mission of the School of Nursing
The nursing programs at Millikin University encourage personal and professional success by producing nurses who:
- Grow in personal and professional knowledge throughout their lifetimes;
- Provide excellent healthcare that respects diverse, global communities;
- Lead by demonstrating lives of meaning, value and contribution;
- Are inspired to imagine and achieve a desired future for healthcare delivery
Preparing for a Life of Meaning
The School of Nursing faculty earnestly believes that the best nurse is one who is well-rounded, both professionally and personally. We are committed to delivering on the promise of education as described in the mission of the University.
- We prepare students for professional success. Our students have a 100% placement rate and are highly sought by prestigious health care facilities across the country. Our graduates practice evidenced-based care within an ethically-grounded framework, they engage in life-long learning, and they strive to become leaders in the nursing profession.
- We prepare students for democratic citizenship in a global environment. Our nursing curricula are soundly based both upon the liberal arts and the natural sciences. This places our graduates in the unique position to work with individuals from a variety of cultures, to think critically, and to act as advocates for our patients’ well-being – both within and outside of the formal health care system.
- We prepare students for a personal life of meaning and value. Our students have the opportunity to be engaged as integral members of the University and their broader communities. Our alumni consistently demonstrate active engagement in leadership, service, and community outreach.
For information on accreditation, visit our Accreditation page.
Stay connected with Millikin School of Nursing by following us on your favorite social media sites.