The Department of Mathematics supports Millikin’s Mission in that the Department works to prepare students for:
- Professional success by providing all of our majors with core mathematical experiences and a range of application areas, and through the various emphases, readying them to enter the work force or pursue graduate study.
- Democratic citizenship in a diverse and dynamic global environment by providing fundamental tools to analyze dynamic events that will inform public policy.
- A personal life of meaning and value by helping our students develop the intellectual framework through thinking rigorously and rationally, and instilling in them the mindset that will enable them to remain life-long learners.
The mission of the department is to produce graduates, regardless of emphasis, who are able to:
- Integrate and differentiate functions,
- Express and interpret mathematical relationships from numerical, graphical, and symbolic points of view,
- read and construct mathematical proofs,
- analyze various discrete and continuous probability models,
- apply mathematics to other disciplines, and
- present mathematical results and arguments orally and in writing.