- U.S. News and World Report: Millikin is ranked No. 12 in the "Best Regional Colleges in the Midwest" category making Millikin the highest ranked institution in Illinois on this list. Millikin University was also recognized for its excellence in a number of other categories including: "Best Value Schools" in the Midwest at No. 29; "Best Undergraduate Teaching – Regional Colleges Midwest" at No. 11; and "Top Performers on Social Mobility – Regional Colleges Midwest" at No. 35.
- The Princeton Review: Millikin University has been named one of the "Best Colleges in the Midwest" according to The Princeton Review's 2021 College Selection Guide.
- Washington Monthly: The Washington Monthly recognized Millikin University as being a "Best Bang for the Buck" Midwest university. Millikin was ranked among the top 50 in the category at No. 40 of 372 schools.
- The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education: Millikin University has been recognized by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education in its annual ranking of U.S. colleges and universities that measures graduate success learning.
- Forbes: Millikin University has been named to the list of "America's Top Colleges" by Forbes. Millikin is one of 25 colleges from Illinois to make Forbes' 12th annual national ranking of 650 institutions. Since 2009, Millikin has been included in this distinguished list.
- Great College Deals: Millikin University has been named one of the top 20 best small college deals in Illinois according to Great College Deals. The ranking focuses on desirable features in pursuing a small college degree.
- Zippia: Millikin University has been named among the top ten best colleges for jobs in Illinois for 2019 according to a ranking published by Zippia, a career advice website dedicated to helping recent college graduates with their career choices.
- OnStage Blog: Millikin University has been named one of the top 30 College Acting/Performing Arts Programs for 2019-2020.
- OnStage Blog: Millikin University was also named in the top 10 BFA Acting Programs in the Country for 2017-18.
- American Theatre: Millikin was named as one of the top 13 Musical Theatre Programs Outside of Manhattan in 2017.
- College Magazine: Millikin University was named as one of the top 10 Schools for Musical Theatre Majors in 2016.
What Students are Saying
According to the Princeton Review Rankings:
"Millikin is a 'small campus with a big campus vibe' thanks to a department-wide Performance Learning approach that gives you firsthand knowledge and experience that is absolutely vital in preparing for your future. Students can choose from a long list of areas of study, including 'excellent music and business programs' along with beloved nursing, theatre and education departments. These hands-on opportunities allow students to decide quickly if the major they are in is the right fit for them."
Millikin students are "cultured, diverse and friendly. Individually, they come from all walks of life and hold a wide range of personalities, majors and attributes that make them all unique. Not only does this lead to an encouraging environment for learning and creating, it also makes it very easy to form meaningful relationships because attendees are extremely open-minded."
According to Money's Best Colleges Rankings:
"The Performance Learning environment allowed me to experience real world situations right away as a freshman. I was afforded so many different opportunities ranging from choir, to Greek life, to a student run theatre company."
"The varieties of styles of teaching courses are so different. Some professors lecture the whole time, others get involve with the students, and some do both. I like how the class size is not to overwhelmingly large or small, the professors know your name."
"I get to experience lots of one-on-one with my professors due to the exceptionally small class size. They make me feel comfortable to approach with questions."