Requirements for Studying Abroad

There are several steps that a Millikin student must take in order to be considered for one of our study abroad programs.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. You must be at least 18 years of age.
  2. You must have completed your most-recent 24 credit hours of study or have the equivalent of junior standing at Millikin.
  3. You must be a student in good financial standing with the Office of Student Financial Services.

Application Process

  1. If you are interested in learning more about your study abroad options, please complete this brief interest form and we will contact you to set up a meeting! Application deadlines are October 1st for the spring semester and March 1st for the fall semester. There is an international study abroad fee of $200 due at the time the application is accepted.
  2. Make an appointment with the Director of the Center for International Education well in advance of the deadline. All applications for traveling abroad MUST be processed through the Center for International Education. This includes programs where application forms may be available through other Millikin departments or on other websites, such as international immersions.
  3. Complete the necessary forms.
    • Personal Data form: This form includes emergency contact information, confidential medical information, and proof of insurance coverage.
    • Statement of Responsibility, Release and Authorization to Participate: Your agreement to behave maturely and adhere to Millikin's code of conduct.
    • Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement: Your signature needs to be notarized, which can be accomplished in the CIE or with any other notary. Do not sign this form until you are personally in front of a Notary Public. You will also need to show a valid picture ID (your Millikin ID or driver's license are acceptable).
    • Pre-Registration Information form: List of courses that you intend to enroll in during your off campus study program. This form needs to be approved and signed by your Academic Advisor, the Study Abroad Advisor, the Registrar and a Student Services official.
    • International Student Identification Card (ISIC) Application: The ISIC card is a universal student ID that provides insurances coverage, travel discounts, and 24 hour assistance. Fill out and return this application to the CIE. The ISIC card costs $25 and will be charged to your student account.
    • Faculty Recommendations: You must provide two recommendations. The provided form can be used, or the same information can be covered in a letter format. The people who write these recommendations should be someone who is familiar with your academic work and can attest that you will use the semester abroad to good academic purpose.

All forms are available in the Center for International Education (University Commons 122) and will be given to each student after the first meeting with the Director to discuss program requirements.