Long-Vanderburg Scholars Program
Recognizing Diversity, Leadership and Service
Hear from student Amelia Aayotte on her own experience as a Long-Vanderburg Scholar at Millikin.
The Long-Vanderburg (LV) program recognizes high scholastic achievement among those students who have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, leadership and community service. The LV Program is named in honor of Millikin's first two African-American graduates, Fred Long and Marian Vanderburg. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years as long as the student maintains a 3.2/4.0 cumulative GPA and actively participates in the program.
Students must first submit their application for admission to Millikin University and receive an acceptance packet before they can apply for scholarships. Admitted students can access the application through their VIP page.
- - $5,000 annual scholarship totaling $20,000 over four years
- - Specialized courses designed to foster cultural, identity and leadership development
- - The LV Scholars Freshman Summer Leadership Academy
- - Residences in exclusive Living Learning Communities
- - Contribution to impactful service projects
- - Participation in distinctive LV programs and activities focused on preparing scholars for success
- - Global opportunities: Apply to an additional $5,000 LV travel grant to study abroad!
Qualify for the LV Scholars Program
- - Display exemplary academic achievement that includes a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.0 scale).
- - Evidence of leadership, commitment to diversity and community service participation in high school and/or local community organizations
- - Membership in any historically underrepresented group or demonstrated commitment to the advancement of these groups
- - Impressive Long-Vanderburg Scholarship Application and Personal Statement
- - Successful Long-Vanderburg Scholars program interview on Millikin University's campus
Students must first submit their application for admission to Millikin University by December 15, and receive an acceptance packet, before they can apply for scholarships. Admitted students can access the application through their VIP page.