Leighty Science Scholars Program
The Leighty Science Scholars Program is designated for high-achieving biology, chemistry, physics and pre-engineering students and includes graduate-level research opportunities and a summer stipend.
Admitted students can access the application through their VIP page.
Leighty Science Scholarship Program Benefits
- - $2,500 annual scholarship funds totaling $10,000 over four years
- - Stipend for summer research between the sophomore and junior years
- - Graduate-level research opportunities working with experienced faculty
Requirements for the Leighty Science Scholarship Program
- Students must have at the time of admission application a minimum cumulative 3.5 GPA.
- Students in biology, chemistry, physics or pre-engineering and maintain that major/program while at Millikin.
- Show evidence of a strong college-preparatory program, including appropriate courses in science and mathematics.
Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and complete a summer research project by the summer following the junior year.
Leighty Science Scholarship Program Director
The John and Ula Leighty Science Scholarship Program was established in 1992 in honor of Dr. John and his wife, Mrs. Ula Leighty. A member of the class of 1931, Dr. Leighty graduated from Millikin with a bachelor's degree in chemistry and received his Master's degree and Ph.D. from Purdue University. He married the former Ula Davis, a biology major from the Millikin Class of 1933: she passed away in 1989.
Dr. Leighty's distinguished 33-year career at Eli Lilly and Company in Indianapolis encompasses many milestones. He was a member of the team that first produced penicillin for Lilly in the 1940s and was involved in developing, producing, and supervising the production of other pharmaceuticals including Erthromycin, vancomycin, streptomycin, and Darvon. His career was capped by his tenure as Executive Director of Scientific Research, where he was responsible for 650 Lilly scientists in seven research divisions.