Millikin University Archives and Special Collections
About the Millikin University Archives and Special Collections
The mission of the Millikin University Archives and Special Collections is to collect, arrange, describe, and preserve items that document the history of Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois, and to serve as a source of discovery and learning about that history. Materials are accessible to the public for research purposes through a combination of online and physical collections. Included in the collections are many records of Millikin University offices, departments, student groups, faculty, and alumni, as well as student publications such as the full run of the Decaturian (newspaper) and the Millidek (yearbook). An extensive photograph and negative collection is also a part of the Archives' collection. Please address any specific questions or concerns about the Archives to Amanda Pippitt, University Archivist.
Location and Hours
Location: UC232 (second floor of the University Commons, northeast corner of floor)
If you need assistance with a research question relating to Millikin University history, or would like to book the archives for a class session, please contact Amanda Pippitt well in advance of your deadline (more than 24 hours). In you message, please describe your research interest and your availability.
If you need to contact the Archives by phone, call 217-424-3982, or call archivist Amanda Pippitt at 217-424-3957.
Our mailing address is:
University Archives, Staley Library
1184 W. Main Street
Decatur, IL 62522
Online Resources (Millikin History)
These digital collections (linked below) have been created from historical materials, which may contain opinions, language, images, or other materials that the modern reader may find offensive. The Millikin University Archives presents these documents as part of the historical record and does not endorse the attitudes expressed therein. For more information, please read this statement from the Millikin University President and Provost.
- The Decaturian (Millikin University Student Newspaper): 1903- June 1951
- Millidek (Millikin University Yearbook): 1906-1999
- Big Blue Photograph Collection: early 1900s-late 1990s (collection still growing)
- School of Music Programs: 1903-1970s (collection still growing)
- Biography of James Millikin
- Autobiography of Albert Reynolds Taylor
- 80 Years of Banking, 1860-1940 (The Millikin National Bank of Decatur)
- Millikin-related Oral Histories (from DPL Local History)- to limit to Millikin-related histories, do a search of the collection for "Millikin" or other, related terms
Online Resources (Local History)
- Decatur Public Library Local History Room (Birth & Obituary Databases, Oral Histories, High School Yearbooks)
- The Staley Museum (Digitized Staley Journals; Decatur Staley Football)
- Mueller Museum Library (Digitized Company Publications)
- Macon County History Museum
Amanda Pippitt is the University Archivist. Please contact her with any questions regarding transfer or donation of items to the Archives, questions on the use of the Archives and its policies, scheduling a class session, or other administrative concerns.