We want you to have a great time in the studio, but we also want you to be safe. Please review the following procedures before visiting. All patrons will need to sign an updated user agreement each semester before using the studio.
- Sign in on the clipboard next to the door before you begin working.
- Access to the Studio is restricted to Millikin students, faculty, and staff.
- Closed-toed and closed-back shoes must be worn at all times. No flip-flops, sandals, or mules.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Loose clothing may become caught in tools or machines.
- Tight clothing may restrict movement and become dangerous if you need to move quickly.
- Wear clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Absolutely no food or drink are allowed in the studio. Water bottles are permitted (provided they contain only water) but may not be placed on the back counter or on the bookshelf. Water bottles are permitted on work tables, but they must have a secure lid, which must be kept closed at all times.
- Wash and dry your hands before using any of the equipment.
- Operate equipment within the manufacturers' specifications. "Hacking" or manipulating the equipment in any way, without permission, is strictly prohibited.
- If you are unfamiliar with the equipment, ask for help!
- Follow the guidelines posted at each machine.
- Safety glasses must be worn when unloading and vacuuming the Carvey or using the hand tools. You may also wish to wear glasses if someone else in the room is doing these things, as they kick up dust.
- Use only authorized materials. You must purchase materials for the Carvey, Cameo, glowforge, and 3D printers from the Studio. No outside materials may be brought in.
- You may not use the equipment to create or modify weapons or weapon-like objects.
- Virtual Reality can cause motion sickness and/or exacerbate certain medical conditions. If you begin to feel ill or experience discomfort, stop your VR experience.
- All accidents MUST be reported to the Studio staff member on duty and to the Safety and Security Department.
- Use your imagination, be creative, and problem-solve!
- Failure IS an option. Don’t be afraid to make a mistake. Take the long view and remember that you are still learning, even when things don’t go the way you imagined.
Be Respectful of Others and Their Space
- In accordance with Millikin University’s values and policies, discrimination or derogatory comments based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identification, religion, class, age, or ability will not be tolerated.
- Be respectful of others and their work. Even if their project doesn’t interest you, that doesn’t mean that it’s not important.
- Share the workspace. The room is small. Make room for others at your table.
- Take turns using tools.
- If someone else has made notes or a diagram on the whiteboards, ask before you erase them.
- Take care of our materials. They have to last a long time. Treat them as if they were your personal items.
- If you are using messy supplies such as paint, use a drop cloth or tarp. Avoid damaging the furniture.
Clean Up After Yourself
- If you took out tools or electronics or other supplies, put them away.
- Re-hang tools on the peg board in their proper locations.
- Re-spool the power cables above the tables.
- Put garbage and recycling in the appropriate bins (near the door).
- Take all personal items with you when you leave.