Promoting Safe, Healthy Student Communities
The Office of Residence Life promotes a progressive, co-curricular experience that fosters inclusive, safe, and healthy student communities.
Millikin's Residence Policy
- Students may live in University operated residence halls (freshmen only) and apartments (if available), Greek chapter houses, and the Woods at Millikin. All upperclassmen students reside at the Woods at Millikin.
- Students wishing to live off-campus MUST meet one of the following criteria:
- Be 24 years of age or older before August 1 of the petition year
- Be married (marriage license may be required)
- Have dependents
- Be of senior standing (88 credits or more and by matriculation, beginning their 7th Millikin semester) at the beginning of the fall term
- Live within a 40 mile radius of campus and living with a parent/guardian
- Demonstrate significant financial hardship (defined as having exhausted all loan eligibility- verified through Student Financial Services)
Residential learning outcomes for residential students
By End of their First Year:
- Residents will engage in the residential community through interactions, service, education, and programming.
- Residents will be able to reflect and articulate their role in their residential community.
- Residents will develop ownership and a sense of belonging in their residential community.
- Residents will identify and reflect on their personal values in order to engage in inclusion and difference.
- Residents will be able to identify the characteristics of a mature interpersonal relationship.
- Residents will deepen their academic identity through para-professionals presence/programming, engaging in faculty/staff inside and outside their residential community.
By End of their Second Year:
- Residents will move from autonomy to interdependence.
- Residents will develop confidence in problem solving skills and managing their lives.
By End of their Third Year Students
- Residents will engage in their residential community and the Millikin/Decatur community.
- Residents will understand the leasing process to live off campus.
By End of their Fourth Your
- Residents will develop full autonomy and live off campus independently.
Want to order a care package for your student? Visit www.ocm.com/mil.
Download the Everything you Need to Know PDF