Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Admission Counselor
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Director of Admission
- Works Closely with: Office of Admission, Athletics Department, Student Financial Services, and Faculty across campus.
Job Summary: This position serves as the face of Millikin University and a representative charged with recruiting and enrolling students in a specific college/school at Millikin. The ideal candidate is goal-oriented and has excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a competitive spirit, the ability to work independently and as a team member, sound reasoning and critical thinking skills, and the confidence to represent Millikin in a professional manner.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities: (Recruitment)
1. Achieve enrollment goals for an assigned Millikin college or school, which are set each year.
2. Travel and represent Millikin University at recruitment events, including but not limited to college fairs or visits at high schools, or other community events.
3. Develop relationships with guidance counselors, athletic coaches, and alumni at the high schools within one’s travel territory.
4. Meet with prospective students and families during individual campus visits or campus visit programs.
5. Develop and maintain relationships with hundreds of new students and parents each academic year, requiring consistent communication (phone calls, email, social media, letters, etc).
6. Assist students and families through the college search and enrollment process at Millikin University (application, admission, financial aid, checklist items on the VIP page, and registration).
7. Learn about all the academic programs and faculty in the assigned college/school and regularly meet with the college/school to discuss progress to goals and collaborate about recruitment strategies and tactics.
8. Cover recruitment events in other territories when a scheduling conflict arises/when necessary.
Primary Responsibilities: (Administration)
1. Responsible for knowledge and use of admission-related data systems including but not limited to SCT Banner, Target X, and the Common Application.
2. Routinely and accurately communicate progress to goals (to Office of Admission and to the assigned college/school).
3. Document necessary information from campus and travel visits.
1. Analyze territory trends to make number predictions and recommendations for strategy modification.
2. Serve as a campus tour guide when students are not available or when needed.
3. Attend and participate in regularly scheduled staff meetings.
4. Other duties as assigned/needed.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Competitive spirit and drive to achieve goals
- Demonstrated familiarity with and ability to use web-based technologies and communication media
- Ability to work with various constituencies across campus
- A positive attitude and independent work ethic
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Occasionally sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally standing or walking
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
- Alternative work schedules, including some evenings and weekends
- Extensive travel and/or periodic overnight travel
Questions about Employment at millikin?
Fill out a form, and a Millikin staff or faculty member will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you.