Explore traditional art principles such as color theory, form, and design while embracing technology to create your art!
In the Visual Media concentration, students will use graphic design software, business strategies, and creative-thinking techniques to make digital media projects in visual communication and design. Students will create a portfolio of work in graphic design, animation, photography, web design and digital publishing. Throughout the program, students will work with real clients and provide solutions to their business problems.
Visual Media Concentration (18 credits)
- • AT 109 Techniques in Visual Narratives (3)
• AR 236 Beginning Digital Photography (3)
• AR 201 Computer Art & Design (3 )
• AR 327 Computer Art & Design: Creative Concepts (3)
And Choose 6 credits from the following:
• AT 365 Topics in Visual Media (3 or 6)
• EN 305 Web Publishing (3)
• AT 320 Motion Graphic Animation (3)
• AT 322 Commercial Photography (3)
• AT 319 Interface Design and Data Visualization (3)
Or Elective As Approved By Chair
Common Topics Courses Include: Stop Motion Animation, Studio Photography Lighting, Visual Effects, Character Design, and Portrait Photography. There are many electives in Graphic Design and Video available.
Visual Media Concentration (Credits)
Potential Careers for an Arts Technology Major With A Visual Media Concentration
- Graphic Designer
- Commercial / Product Photographer
- Motion-graphic Designer
- Mobile App Designer
- Art Director
- Front-End Website Developer
- Editorial Designer
- Media/Communications Coordinator
- Portrait Photographer
- User Experience Designer
- Corporate Media Specialist
- Brand Management / Corporate Identity Specialist
- Fine Arts Photographer
- Design or Photography Firm Owner
- Innovation Specialists
- Digital and Social Media Marketer
- Live Event Photographer
- Studio Management/Photo Assistant
- Web Designer
- News/Sports Photographer/Photojournalism
- Package Designer
- Scientific/Medical Photographer
In addition to taking courses in one of the five concentrations, students will learn the foundations of all Arts Technology areas and take courses in business and art entrepreneurship.
The Visual Media concentration is where design, photography, animation, and the web come together to communicate. Students jump right into “the real world” by working with clients directly in the classroom and through student-run ventures such Millikin Creates (visual and interactive media firm) and the Blue Connection (student run gallery).