Interdepartmental programs

What credits will transfer?

While this is a popular question for transfer students to ask, it isn't the complete question. Instead of focusing solely on what credits will transfer to Millikin, ask what courses you will need to finish your degree. In other words, you may have a lot of transfer credits, but still need the majority of required classes within the curriculum to earn a degree in your major.

When should I start talking with Millikin?

It's never too early to start a conversation with us about transferring. A conversation with a Transfer Admission Counselor or a faculty member in your area of study can yield information about the types of classes you'll need to take that may be applied toward your degree at that school. With their help, you should create a plan of study to point you in the right direction throughout your community college experience, or the remainder of your time at your current institution.

Should I complete an Associate's Degree?

An Associate's Degree is not required to transfer to Millikin. Transfer students who complete an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree prior to enrollment at Millikin will have met the University Studies requirements of the first two years of the Bachelor's Degree, and are EXEMPT from the following courses:

  • University Seminar (IN140)
  • Critical Writing, Reading, and Research I and II (IN150, IN151)
  • U.S. Cultural and Structural Studies (IN250, IN251)
  • International Cultures and Structures
  • Oral Communication Studies
  • Natural Science with a Laboratory
  • Quantitative Reasoning
  • Creative Arts

The advantage of transferring an Associate's Degree may also depend on your intended major. In some cases, transferring sooner may be beneficial to the specific path within your area of study. You can consult with a Transfer Admission Counselor for more detailed information.

*An Applied Associate's Degree does not meet the requirements for the first two years. Students will be required to complete all outstanding University Studies courses.

Are "D's" accepted?

No, grades must be a C- or higher.

Who determines what courses transfer?

  • Office of the Registrar
  • Academic Departments

Is there an Honors Program for transfer students?

Yes! Transfer students may be eligible to apply for the Millikin Honors Program depending on their academic history at their previous institution. For more information about the Honors Program and requirements, visit the Honors website to learn more. The application is made available to eligible students upon admission.

Are Transfer grades included in the overall GPA?

No, only earned credits of accepted courses are transferred. Overall GPA is calculated from Millikin grades only.

Is there a limit to the total number of credits that can be accepted?

When transferring from a community college, no more than 66 credits will be accepted. When transferring from another four year- institution, there is no limit on the number of credits accepted, provided the residency rule of completing 33 of the last 45 credits in the degree at Millikin is not violated.

Where will I live after I transfer?

Most transfer students live in The Woods at Millikin apartment complex. The Woods at Millikin is a privately-owned complex that partners with Millikin to house over 600 students in luxury apartment-style living. It offers the ultimate living experience for sophomore, junior, and senior students.

Is there a policy regarding students who have already completed a Bachelor's Degree?

Students who transfer to Millikin with a completed Bachelor's Degree from another accredited institution will have all University-wide General Education requirements waived. This waiver does not apply to specific support courses or special distribution requirements attached to the new major program or degree.

Is there a policy on Aging Credit?

Yes, Millikin University will accept academic credit from accredited colleges and universities for University Studies/General Education courses without time limit. For courses in the student's major program, however, academic credits will only be accepted if earned in the previous 10 years. Academic departments may specify other time limits for their programs or for specific courses within their programs. Students may appeal academic credit decisions to the appropriate Dean.