For many community college students, selecting a college or university to attend can be a challenging task, but it doesn't have to be.

Give yourself a leg up in your college search by asking the right questions. A little planning can make the transition to a four-year institution much easier.

What credits will transfer?

While this is a popular question for transfer students to ask, it isn't the complete question. Instead of focusing solely on what credits will transfer to another institution, it is more appropriate to ask what courses you will need to finish your degree. In other words, you may have a lot of transfer credits, but still need the majority of required classes to earn a degree in your major.

When should I start talking with a college or university?

It's never too early to start a conversation with a college or university about transferring. Even if you don't plan to transfer for a long time, that's okay. A conversation with a Director of Transfer Admission or a faculty member in your area of study can yield information about the types of classes you'll need to take that may be applied toward your degree at that school. With their help, you should create a plan of study to point you in the right direction throughout your community college experience.

Where will I live after I transfer?

No matter where you're considering transferring, most colleges or universities have a residence requirement – even for transfer students. Be sure to ask about this as you're making your plans and selecting a school that's right for you. Many times, transfer students make the mistake of assuming that because they have some college courses already under their belt, they can live wherever they'd like, even off campus. Don't make the mistake of renting an apartment off campus only to be fined a large sum of money for not going through the proper channels to gain "official school permission" to bend the residence requirement rules. On the other hand, many schools are quite accommodating for transfer students and realize that their housing wants and needs are somewhat different than traditional freshmen. Because of this, many schools offer residence life facilities that accommodate several different styles of living and are completely "transfer student friendly."

Is there an honors program for transfer students?

Transfer students who are enrolled in a "recognized articulation agreement with other institutions that have a Honors Program" are eligible for consideration of the James Millikin Scholars program. Upon admission to Millikin, interested transfer Honors students, may consult with the Honors Director for application and selection processes.

Will I get any money for school when I transfer?

Investing in a college education is a wise decision, but a costly one. The good news is that most colleges or universities will offer transfer students scholarships based upon their academic credentials – both in high school and in higher education. Some schools also encourage transfer students to apply to their scholarship programs (i.e. Honors Programs, Science Scholarship Programs, Service Learning Scholarship Programs, etc.) either before they are admitted or after they've studied at the college for some time. Be sure to ask what scholarships or programs are available to you.

Additionally, transfer students can benefit from non-Millikin scholarship awards such as the Phi Theta Kappa Award.

Should I earn an associate's degree?

Most of the time an associate's degree is accepted as completion of required general education studies. Again, it is always best to consult with the director of transfer admission at the college or school you're considering for specific transfer policies.

Can you suggest a transfer-friendly school for me?

Millikin University, of course. Located on a 75-acre residential campus in Decatur, Illinois, Millikin welcomes about 150 transfer students to its campus annually. If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact the Office of Admission at 217.420.6751 or

Are "D's" accepted in Transfer?

No, grades must be a C- or higher.

Are Transfer grades included in the overall GPA?

No, only earned credits of courses accepted are counted toward the degree.

Are students allowed to repeat failed courses at another institution?

Yes, however the repeated course in transfer will not replace the initial grade. Students repeating previously graded courses cannot improve their GPA at Millikin either, but can demonstrate competency depending on what grade their program requires for the repeated course.

Are graduation honors calculated on transfer credits and your institution credits?

No, honors are calculated on Millikin grades and credits only. Students must earn no less than 33 credits on Millikin campus prior to earning their degree and qualifying for honors.

What qualifies credits for acceptance in transfer?

Normally college level courses taken at other nationally or regional 2 year or 4 year colleges or University recognized by the Department of Education. General education-type courses are reviewed and accepted or rejected by the Office of the Registrar in consultation with the transfer coordinator and PACE office. Courses in the major may require departmental approval unless through
common practice or articulation agreements the course has been previously accepted.

Who determines what courses transfer?

  • Registrar
  • Assistant Registrar
  • Transfer Coordinator
  • Academic Departments

Is there a limit to the total credits that can be accepted in transfer towards a Millikin Degree?

For the traditional baccalaureate program, once a student reaches 66 credits in combination of previously transferred credits and credits earned at Millikin, no additional credits can be accept towards the degree. For students enrolled in the Adult Education program (PACE) additional credits beyond 66 can be accepted provided the student earns a minimum of 33 credits on residence.

Are credits and grades earned off-campus in an approved study abroad program accepted and counted in the Millikin GPA?

Yes, provided the program is approved by the University.

Is there a policy regarding the acceptance of Associate of Arts or Associate Science degrees from 2-year institutions?

Yes, students who enroll at Millikin with an earned Associate of Arts or Science degree from an accredited college or university automatically meet the all Sequential Requirements; accept Global Studies and all Non- sequential requirements in the University Wide General Education program. Exceptions to this rule include Education, Business, Nursing and other programs with specific requirements in these two areas. Consultation with the Transfer Coordinator or Registrar can answer any questions involving this rule.

Is there a policy regarding students who have earned a previous accredited degree?

Yes, students who have earned a 4-year degree from an accredited University or College meet ALL university wide general education requirements. They are however held to specific requirements in their selected major/program.

Is there a policy on Aging Credit?

Yes, Millikin University will accept academic credit from accredited colleges and universities for University Studies/General Education courses without time limit. For courses in the student's major program, however, academic credits will only be accepted if earned in the previous 10 years. Academic departments may specify other time limits for their programs or for specific courses within their programs. Students may appeal academic credit decisions to the appropriate Dean.