F-1 VISA Regulations

As an international student, you are required to comply with U.S. immigration regulations. If you do not comply with these regulations, there could be severe consequences. Maintaining your immigration status is your responsibility.

Please help us assist you in navigating these complex immigration regulations by USING YOUR MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY EMAIL ADDRESS. Information about changing immigration regulations and other circumstances that affect you as an international student in the U.S. will be sent to your MU e-mail.

Ask the Coordinator of International Student Services when you have questions about what you can and can’t do as a non-immigrant F or J student in the U.S. Do not rely on advice from a friend or an academic advisor at MU. They are not qualified to give you an appropriate answer.

Notify the CIE immediately of any change in your contact information.

At the CIE, we welcome any and all of your questions and want you to feel free to consult with us confidentially at any time.

Maintaining your VISA Status

F/J Students

Report Address Changes to the Center for International Education within 10 days.

This includes address changes of any of your dependents as well. Please report your change of address with the University as well as with the Center for International Education.

Maintain a full course load (12 CREDITS) at all times.

You are allowed to deviate from this full course of study only with PRIOR authorization of the Coordinator for International Student Services and only under very limited circumstances. You must also get approval from your dean or department as appropriate. Students must attend in the fall and spring semesters at MU.

Report any leaves or reasons for interrupting your program of study to the CIE in advance.

For a variety of reasons, students leave prior to the scheduled data of degree completion. Some of these reasons include early graduation, leave of absence, suspension or transfer to another institution in the U.S. You must notify the CIE if you leave before the date indicated on your I-20/DS-2019.

Report any change of major and/or degree objective to the CIE as well as any change in financial sponsorship.

Do not engage in any unauthorized employment.

You may work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while school is in session. You are not permitted to work off-campus without receiving PRIOR authorization from the U.S. Federal Government and/or the CIE. Employment possibilities are very limited. J-1 students must obtain permission before beginning any campus work. J-1/F-1 students have valid U.S. Health Insurance for the entire duration of your program.

Complete immigration transfer procedures in a timely manner.

Students who transfer from another University in the U.S. to MU must complete an immigration transfer. They must meet with the CIE within 15 days of beginning courses. Students who plan to transfer from MU to another institution must notify the CIE in advance so their file can be released to the school that they plan to attend. 9