Campus Resources & Services


  • Hours:  Mon-Fri., 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Sat. 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.

The University Bookstore is located on the ground floor of Dolson Hall. The Bookstore sells necessary items for students including new and used textbooks, reference materials, and supplies. Millikin University clothing and other MU paraphernalia are also available as well as greeting cards, stationery and gift items. During final exam week each semester, the Bookstore offers students the opportunity to sell their textbooks through their buy-back program (depending on the market demand).

The Center for Academic and Professional Performance

The Center for Academic and Professional Performance (CAPP) is devoted to delivering complete wrap-around services to foster students’ resilience, confidence, and academic and social skills. The CAPP is committed to ensuring a successful college experience, positive personal development, and post-graduate preparedness. Our offices are located in University Commons 312A and 336. Our central office can be reached by calling 217.362.6424 or on our website at


  • Strengths-based Advising model  
  • Exploratory Program  
  • Career Coaching  
  • Alumni Mentoring Program  
  • Career Fairs  
  • Supplemental Instruction  
  • Tutoring  
  • EDGE Program  
  • Disability Services  
  • “Junior Jump” Advising  
  • Academic Recovery  
  • Cover Letter and Resume Writing  
  • Mock Interviews  
  • Internship Exploration & Coaching
  • Student Employment

Millikin believes that seamless levels of support, delivered in the context of trusting relationships, will meet the needs of every student. Considering the whole student, from academic achievement to personal development, will allow for a more individualized approach. As no two Millikin students are the same, no two CAPP experiences are the same. We weave Millikin’s distinct brand of Performance Learning into these experiences. We believe cultivating a strong sense of self-advocacy and personal identity will empower students throughout their journey in becoming the best version of themselves; attaining professional success, becoming a democratic citizen in a global environment, and achieving a personal life of meaning and value.

Center for International Education

The Center for International Education (CIE) is committed to increasing global and international awareness and knowledge for students, faculty and staff at Millikin University.  Specifically, the CIE will assist students and faculty in semester long and short-term experiences abroad, as well as international student support and assistance after admission and while on campus. Consistent with Millikin’s Mission to prepare students for democratic citizenship in a global environment, the Center for International Education will prepare Millikin students and faculty for productive engagement in the global society of the 21st century.

The Center for International Education conducts a variety of semester abroad programs and immersion courses during January, May, and summer terms. Having partnerships with over 35 universities around the world, means students from every major have opportunities to study abroad. A few of our most popular destinations include Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Denmark, Ecuador, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, South Korea, Taiwan, United Kingdom. Short term immersion options change frequently, but often include Cuba, the Dominican Republic, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom. The CIE is located in the University Commons, Room 122 and the office number is 424-3758.

Millikin Help Desk and Media Services

A variety of computer and media learning services are available to students via the Information Technology Help Desk located on the first floor of Shilling Hall, Room 106. Included among these services are advice related to acquiring a personal computer, connecting your personal computer to the Millikin wireless network, downloading Office 365 on your personal devices, obtaining assistance with your Millikin username and password, accessing resources in the general access computer labs, and using computer and media projection equipment. For current and up-to-date information on these services and others that become available during the academic year, be sure to visit the Information Technology web page

Student Mental and Behavioral Health Services

It is not uncommon for students to experience distress from time to time. The college years are one of the most challenging transition periods in life. Adjusting to campus life, increased academic demands, relationship concerns, and other personal issues can feel overwhelming at times. Millikin’s Student Mental and Behavioral Health Services is available to help students overcome any difficulties of transitioning into college and to make decisions that positively affect their mental health. Student Mental & Behavioral Services focuses on primary prevention, health promotion, treatment, maintenance, and crisis response. An emphasis is placed on assessment, outreach, case management, and cooperation with local partners such as Crossing Healthcare, A&E Behavioral Health, Heritage Behavioral Health, and St. Mary’s Hospital.

Appointments can be arranged by calling 217-424-6360. Services are located in the Millikin-DMH Health Clinic is located at 150 South Fairview Avenue.

Decatur Indoor Sports Center (DISC)

This 87,000 square foot facility offers a fitness center, weight room, an indoor soccer arena, basketball and volleyball courts, a golf practice and instruction area, a walking/jogging track, group exercise and dance rooms, climbing wall, batting cages, and more. The facility is a partnership between Millikin University and the Decatur Park District and is open to all members of the Decatur community. The Allan-McClure Millikin weight room is located in the lower level of the 87,000 square foot Decatur Indoor Sports Center (DISC). The facility provides up-to-date equipment for recreation and athletic use. Trained fitness center staff will assist with questions regarding equipment and exercise technique.

The DISC is located at 1295 West Wood Street, and the contact number is 217-429-3472.

Dining Services

University dining services is being managed by Aramark. For more information operating hours and other dining service information, please contact Aramark at 424-6323. For information on student meal plans, please contact Student Financial Services at 217-424-6317.

Fax Services

A fax machine is available in the University mailroom for student use. Faxes can be sent or received at the following fax number: 217-424-3993. There is a nominal charge per page for sending faxes. Please have all incoming faxes include the following information: ATTENTION:  Student’s Name, Campus Address and contact phone number.  Faxes can be sent or received between 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid is administered by Student Financial Services located on the 1st floor of Shilling Hall in Room 118. For assistance with financial aid questions contact the 217-424-6317.

Fraternity and Sorority Life

Fraternity and Sorority Life affords students an excellent opportunity to develop leadership skills, enhance personal development and academic achievement, engage in community service activities, and build friendships that will endure long past his or her days on campus. There are six national women’s sororities represented at Millikin University – Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Pi Beta Phi and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority, Inc., and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. There are five national men’s fraternities represented on the Millikin campus—Alpha Tau Omega, Delta Sigma Phi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Tau Kappa Epsilon, and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Administrative staff in the Office of Campus Life advise the individual groups and governing bodies.


Five of Millikin’s Greek organizations own and operate their chapter houses adjacent to the campus. Students who are not provided meals in their chapter house may purchase a University board contract at the regular residential board rate. Any upper-class student living in a residence hall may petition to move into a Greek chapter house at the end of his/her first semester of membership, if space permits. All members who wish to move into a fraternity or sorority chapter house must complete a notification form that may be obtained from the Office of Campus Life. The form must be approved by the chapter president and the Dean of Campus Life.  Room and board fees for Greek chapter houses vary slightly among the groups. Chapter houses are considered affiliated properties and on-campus housing. Therefore, all University policies apply to students residing in these facilities.


Affiliation with a fraternity or sorority is achieved through a mutual selection process known as membership recruitment. Formal membership recruitment for students occurs at the beginning of the spring semester and includes an orientation program during which Interfraternity, Multicultural Greek, and Panhellenic Council officers explain the recruitment process. Continuous recruitment periods occur throughout the year specifically targeting transfer students, and sophomores, juniors, and senior students. Students are encouraged to consider all chapters in order to make the best evaluation of which one most closely meets their personal expectations and values.

Recruitment programs, new member education, and initiation are restricted to full-time students who are in good standing with Millikin. To become a member, a student must have successfully completed one college/University semester and be currently enrolled for at least 12 credit hours. Individual chapters have specific academic requirements for affiliation and initiation that are presented during recruitment activities. Eligibility for membership must be certified by the Office of Campus Life at least 48 hours preceding the membership induction.  Any questions regarding how to get involved in Fraternity and Sorority Life should be directed to the Office of Campus Life.

Health Services

The Millikin/DMH Health Clinic is located at the corner of Wood Street and Fairview Avenue. Medical Staff are available 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday while classes are in session for the fall and spring semesters. Hours during breaks and summer vary. For more specific information, please contact the clinic at 217-424-6360 (fax 217-422-5542) or visit


Health Services are available to all currently enrolled Millikin University students, faculty, and staff and their spouses, domestic partners, and dependents.

Types of Service Available:

  • Evaluation and treatment of medical illnesses
  • Laboratory testing
  • Allergy injections
  • Vaccine administration
  • TB skin test
  • Physical examinations
  • Emergency/injury evaluation and treatment
  • Blood pressure and weight checks
  • Smoking cessation care
  • Nutrition advice
  • Screening for sexually transmitted diseases
  • Women’s Clinic

Your personal physician should manage any long-term medical conditions.

How to Access Services

Please call the DMH/Millikin Health Clinic at 217-424-6360 to speak to a medical professional. The clinic sees students on an appointment basis from 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday. For non-emergent medical needs after hours, students may contact Public Safety for assistance.

Payment of Services

Medical Services are billed to the student or their primary health insurance, if applicable. Costs are comparable to community medical providers. Payment is not required at time of treatment.

Inclusion & Engagement 

The Office of Campus Life leads the campus in fostering a community of inclusion and cultural competency which empowers students to succeed in a vibrant, socially just, diverse university community. Campus Life engages the campus with programs and services that encourage the holistic development of students and affirm identity through advocacy, outreach and advising. The office  strives to nurture an inclusive, equitable, culturally competent community so students will excel and contribute as democratic citizens in a global environment. Services include: 1) creating, promoting, and encouraging a supportive and friendly campus environment that is welcoming for, and attractive to people of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, and those with disabilities, 2) advocating, supporting, and advising students and cultural groups in their identities, 3) fostering leadership development through intentional mentoring programs for students to excel as scholars and achieve personal goals, 4) having outlets for students to become engaged in the campus and Decatur communities, 5) creating and implementing educational platforms that support healthy lifestyles for the campus community, and 6) collaborating with campus and local community groups to ensure a climate of justice, access, equity, and learning. The Office of Campus Life is your one stop shop for all student organizations, Homecoming and Fall Family Weekend activities, Greek Life, leadership development, and cultural and heritage month programs, diversity training, and wellness programs.


Intramurals provide a sports program in which all students may participate. This program is run entirely by student managers who work to meet the recreational needs of the Millikin community.

Available activities include basketball, bowling, flag football, miniature golf, softball, volleyball and more. Captains must attend signup meetings. Check the Athletics/Intramurals web page ( or call the Department of Athletics, New Hall 2, 217-424-6344 with questions.

Lost and Found

There is a lost and found center located at Public Safety. If you lose something, it may be there; if you’ve found something, take it to Public Safety. Articles will be held for only one semester.

Mail Service and Duplicating Service

All students who live in the residence halls may pick up their mail and packages at the University Mail Center, Shilling Hall 104A. The phone number is 217-420-6799. Students will have access to their mailboxes from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m., Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Friday and 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Saturday, and Sunday. Packages and Mail Center services will be available from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm – Monday – Friday. All students must show their Millikin I.D. to pick up packages.

Letters and packages may be weighed and rated by the Mailroom (Shilling Hall, Room 104A) for the proper amount of postage.

Also located in Shilling 104A is Duplicating where students can get a new Millikin I.D. if their I.D. has been lost or stolen and request printing for projects, events, and presentations. Duplicating is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm - Monday - Friday.

On-Campus Check Cashing Services

Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

On-campus check cashing is available in the Student Financial Services Center, Shilling Hall 118 (Monday-Friday). The phone number is 217-424-6317. Personal checks (for amounts up to $50) and Millikin student payroll checks can be cashed. Student to student and two-party checks will not be cashed. Checks must be made payable to “cash.” A fee of $25 is charged for each returned check and the privilege of cashing checks may be withdrawn.

There is also an automated teller machine on campus located on the ground floor of the University Commons building.

Parental Notification Practices

Millikin University strives to cultivate personal growth and responsibility in its students as they learn to establish their own independence. However, the University also believes in providing parents with the sensitive information they need to know in order to advise their students effectively. Parental notification is initiated when a member of the Student Development staff believes that parental involvement will help the student by providing support for their health and safety, academic success and/or personal development. Furthermore, Sections 951 and 952 of the 1998 Higher Education Amendment enables institutions of higher education to notify the parents or legal guardians when their student under the age of 21 has been found in violation of the institution’s disciplinary code for drugs and alcohol. Parental notification is in addition to the intervention and education already offered students when such infractions are brought to the University’s attention.

Parents may be notified:

  1. when The Office of Campus Life receives notification from University staff and/or local law enforcement officials that a student has been found to be involved in a drug or alcohol-related violation during an academic session or while living in University owned housing. Violations that may trigger parental notification include:
  • the student demonstrates a disregard for his or her personal safety or the safety of others;
  • medical attention to any person, including the student, is required as a result of the student's alcohol related behavior;
  • the student causes property damage;
  • the student operates a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol;
  • the student is involved in multiple minor incidents involving alcohol;
  • the student's alcohol-related behavior negatively impacts the learning environment.
  1. when there is reason to believe that a student's health and well-being are in jeopardy.  The University reserves the right to assess what is determined as potential jeopardy, including potential harm to self and/or others.

A professional staff member in Student Affairs will encourage the student to make the initial call to a parent or guardian.  After the determination of a violation, students will be afforded an opportunity to contact their parent(s) or guardian before the university will issue a notification. In certain cases, written notification will be utilized in lieu of verbal contact.

Parents/guardians interested in gaining further information about their student’s academic records are encouraged to discuss this information with their student or request that the student sign a written consent to have this information shared with his/her parents. Consent forms are available at the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairts. Parents should be aware that the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prohibits the University from sharing student records (not including the above exceptions) without the student’s written consent.

Please direct all questions regarding Millikin University’s Parental Notification Practices to the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs (217) 424-6395.

Parking Regulations

All vehicles that park on campus must be registered with Public Safety and display a valid Millikin University parking permit. Permits are available through Public Safety. Residential Students are only allowed to register one vehicle, commuter students may register two vehicles. The fee schedule for permits is:  Residential $100.00, Commuter $50.00. Parking Permits are valid for one year (08/01-07/31). 

Students are required to park according to the guidelines outlined in the Parking Information brochure published by the Millikin University Department of Public Safety. Copies of this brochure are available at the Department of Public Safety in Walker Hall. Students are cautioned to pay particular attention to reserved spaces such as visitor only (Millikin students are not considered visitors), handicapped parking, and designated fire lanes. Students who fail to abide by the University’s parking regulations are subject to parking tickets and/or having their vehicles towed. 

During weather related emergencies (ie. snow and flooding conditions), students may be asked to relocate their vehicles so that repairs and maintenance can be facilitated. Students must also be aware that certain city streets around campus are “snow emergency routes.” Vehicles parked on these routes in violation of city ordinances will be towed at the owner’s expense.

Residence Life Operations


Housekeeping service is provided in residence hall common areas including bathrooms (1 to 2 times per week and as needed), lounges and hallways. Students are responsible for cleaning their individual rooms and making sure that the bathrooms and showers are organized enough to be easily cleaned.


In each residence hall, washers and dryers are available for use by residents. The cost of using the Laundry facilities is assessed to each residential student’s account at the start of each semester. Check with your Resident Assistant (RA) for specific laundry room locations. You are encouraged to stay with your laundry at all times. The University does not take responsibility for theft of personal belongings.


Maintenance concerns should be reported to the Resident Assistant. The Resident Assistant will supply students with the correct information on how to resolve their concern. Typically, the RA will put in a Work Order through Facilities to complete maintenance.

Refrigerators and Microwaves

Students may bring their own refrigerators into the residence halls; however, they may not exceed 1.5 amps or be larger than 3 cubic feet. Personal microwaves are not allowed in the residence halls unless they are part of a Microfridge unit. In most residence halls, there is a common microwave available for use in kitchen or other designated space.

Student Housing Council

The Student Housing Council (SHC) is the students’ voice in the operation of Millikin residence halls. Students interested in community and/or student government experience are encouraged to check with their Resident Assistant on how to get involved in SHC.

The Resident Assistant (RA) is a trained paraprofessional student-staff member on each floor selected due to their interest in helping other students. With your help, the RA will maintain harmony and a sense of respect in your community.  Primarily, they are a resource for you—there to assist you in all facets of your college experience.  As you will discover, although RAs spend much time with their community, they have other responsibilities in their position (duty, training, meetings, etc.) and most importantly, they are full-time students at Millikin.

Campus Life Professional Staff are full time professional staff members with at least a Master’s degree in Higher Education or related field. The professional staff is responsible for overall supervision, administration, crisis management and emergency on-call response, and student conduct in the Residence Halls. Our professional staff can be found in the Office of Campus Life located in the University Commons, on the third floor.

The Campus Life Life staff are University officials charged with creating an educational environment and maintaining respect in the residence halls.

Television Service

Each residential student is issued a cable account through our service provider, Comcast Xfinity. Basic cable service, on-demand programming, and other features are provided at no cost to the student. Students may choose to upgrade their service through their Comcast Xfinity account.

University Commons

The University Commons (UC) s a vibrant multi-functional and fusion-type facility housing both the student center of Millikin as well as the Staley Library. The University Commons is the “front door” of Millikin’s campus and acts as the main gathering space for the University and broader community. You will find that the UC provides an exciting and functional place for the vast majority of University events on our campus. The University Commons houses student lounge areas, conference and meeting rooms, collaboration spaces, our centralized dining facility, and several University offices, including Catering and Dining Services, the Office of Inclusion and Student Engagement, the Office of Student Development, the Oberhelman Leadership Development Center, the Center for Academic and Professional Performance, the Writing Center, and the MAC Lab. The UC also houses the University Commons Welcome Area Desk (UCWAD), WJMU Campus Radio Station, the student-run newspaper, the Decaturian, and many other amenities and services.

The UC is, most certainly, the living room of the campus; the place where all members of the Millikin community meet, converse, and grow together. The UC is open to all members of the University family—students, faculty, administration, alumni, and guests. Through various committees and staff, the UC provides a place where cultural, intellectual, social, and recreational programs bridge classroom learning with out-of-classroom experiences. All of these events encourage self-directed activity and give maximum opportunity for leadership development and citizenship.  We seek opportunities for Performance Learning in all that we do!

Escorted guests are welcome to enjoy the services and amenities of the University Commons. Appropriate behavior and citizenship are expected of all guests. Guest privileges are at the discretion of the staff. For further information, contact the Office of Campus Life at 217-424-6395.

Millikin Public Safety Department

The Department of Public Safety is located in Walker Hall, first floor, north end. The department operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is a combination department comprised of both sworn police officers and non-sworn security officers and dispatchers. The Millikin University Police Department was established by the Board of Trustees in May 2013 in accordance with the Illinois Private College Campus Police Act (110 ILCS/1020). As outlined by that act, Millikin University Police Officers have full peace officer authority and arrest powers, including the ability to enforce city ordinances, county ordinances, traffic laws (on public ways contiguous to university property), and state statutes.

A dispatcher is always in the dispatch center and can be reached by calling 217-464-8888 (8888 campus phone), or through one of the “blue light” phones located about campus. The dispatch center is also the after-hours switchboard for the University. The dispatcher monitors a variety of campus alarm systems, the access control system, and local/national media for weather and crisis information.

The Public Safety Department is responsible for a wide variety of functions on campus, including both foot and motorized patrols, access control, crisis response, parking enforcement, risk management, and various life safety checks. During patrols, both Police and Security Officers are establishing a presence to deter criminal activity, conducting life safety checks, and proactively engaging our community members. Public Safety staff members attend regular training on procedures, investigations, report writing, crisis management, first aid and CPR/AED.

For Public Safety assistance on campus dial “8888” from a campus phone or 217-464-8888.  Decatur/Macon County does offer 911 service for life threatening emergencies, remember to dial “7-911” when calling from a campus phone.

Emergency Procedures

In event of any emergency in any campus owned building—fire, illness, accident, etc.—notify Public Safety at 217-464-8888. For life threatening emergencies, please also contact 911.

Fire Alarms

False alarms and genuine fire alarms are indistinguishable. Therefore, students should follow the fire procedures whenever the alarm sounds. Failure to evacuate appropriately may result in injury and will result in disciplinary action.

When the fire alarm sounds:

  • Calmly proceed to the nearest exit and leave the building. (If the situation allows, close your residence door as you leave.)
  • If in a closed room, feel the door with the back of our hand before exiting. If the door is hot use an alternate exit.
  • If an alternative exit is not available, seal off the room you are in by stuffing towels, etc. in vents and door cracks. Call 911 and/or Public Safety (464-8888) and tell them you are trapped and give your location. If practical, wait by a window and signal for help.
  • Do not re-enter the building until instructed to do so by a staff member

Tornado Warning

When notified that a tornado has been sighted in this area:

  • Leave the room and close the door (unlocked).
  • Move to the basement. If there is no basement, sit in the corridor away from windows on the lowest floor of the building.
  • Do not re-enter room until danger is past and the “all clear” is provided by a staff member.

Space/Room Reservations

The campus utilizes 25Live scheduling software to manage all campus facilities and spaces. An electronic request through 25Live (via mymillikin) must be submitted in order to receive confirmation of an event. Set-up arrangements should be made at the time of scheduling online. All food service arrangements must be made with the Catering Manager (217-424-6631) after facility use has been requested and confirmed. All audio/visual requests for any space outside the University Commons should be directed to Media Services at 217-424-6238.  Requests for the University Commons can be made when requesting space via 25Live.

Recognized student organizations, faculty, and staff have priority for scheduling purposes. Rental fees are usually waived for these groups. Arrangements and charges will be assessed by the Scheduling and Reservations staff for off-campus organizations. Scheduling should be done at least 14 days prior to an event in order to ensure space, equipment, and set-up arrangements.

All cancellations should be made at least 48 hours prior to the start of the event through the 25Live system or by contacting Scheduling and Reservations at 217-424-6395. Groups that fail to make notification of cancellation may forfeit reservation privileges for the remainder of the semester.

Student organizations desiring to open an event to the public must receive permission from the Director of Inclusion and Student Engagement before publicizing the event. Extension of normal building hours requires approval of the Scheduling and Reservations staff and the sponsoring organization will be responsible for all costs associated with extension of the hours.

The full 2018-19 Scheduling and Reservations Handbook and all associated scheduling priorities, policies, and procedures is available at

Student Accounts – Campus Charges

Campus charges (parking tickets, fines, ID fees, health service fees, etc.) will be assessed to individual student accounts each month. Students will receive a paper bill before each semester and each subsequent statement is sent electronically. Student accounts must be paid in full by the end of each term to be eligible to return the following semester. Students may access their account by going to the MU Account Suite.

Telephone Regulations and Guidelines

Millikin coordinates and provides telephone services to campus through Telephone Services located in Shilling Hall- Room 106 and can be contacted at 424-5066. Students wishing access to a land-line telephone port may request one through Telephone Services.

Dialing Instructions

(For calls placed from residence hall or other campus phones)

On campus: Dial only the four-digit extension number.

Local: Dial 7 + 7-digit-number

“Toll-Free” numbers: dial 7 + 1-800-xxx-xxxx and continue with carrier’s instructions

Blue Light (Emergency) Phones:

  • Between Dolson and Hessler “D” Parking Lot
  • DISC Parking Lot
  • Drive between William St. and “D” Lot
  • Fairview Parking Lot
  • Kirkland Parking Lot
  • Millikin East/West Apartments
  • North-end of football field
  • North St. Parking Lot (SE corner)
  • Tennis Courts
  • Wood Street Parking Lot
  • William Street Parking Lot
  • Sidewalk behind Perkinson Music Center

Outdoor Phones:

  • Blackburn Hall (fish bowl)
  • Millikin East and West Apartments
  • Mills Hall (north side)
  • New Halls 2 (Athletics), 3 and 4 (front of each)
  • Dolson Hall main lobby
  • Staley Library (NW corner)
  • Tennis Courts
  • Weck Hall (front of hall)
  • William Street Parking Lot
  • Wood Street Parking Lot (east side)


Bus transportation to and from downtown Decatur and the Hickory Point Mall is provided by Decatur Mass Transit District. Trolley transportation to and from downtown Decatur is provided by the Downtown Decatur Council. Buses stop at the corners of Fairview Avenue and Main Street and at Oakland Avenue and Main Street, Monday through Saturday. Schedule information may be obtained by calling 217-424-2800. Intercity bus service for Decatur is provided by Greyhound Lines, 217-877-6262.

University Commons Welcome Area Desk

(Dial “0” on campus, or 217-424-6211 off-campus) The University Commons Welcome Area Desk (UCWAD) is a service center for the Millikin community. General campus information as well as specific information on events occurring in the UC is available from the UCWAD, which is located near the front south main entrance of University Commons. The University Commons Welcome Area Desk is open seven days a week during the academic year, Monday-Friday: 7am-12 Midnight; Saturday and Sunday: 10am-12 Midnight.  Building hours during breaks, holidays, and the summer will be posted at each entrance to the UC.

Vending Machines

A wide variety of beverages and snacks is available in vending areas located in each residence hall as well as some academic buildings on campus. Refunds are available from the Student Service Center, Shilling Hall 118. The contact number is 217-424-6317. Tampering with or destruction of vending machines is a violation of University policy.