Our collections primarily consist of historical documents pertaining to Millikin University. Though we do have some local history information (mainly published materials relating to the history of Decatur and Macon County), it is not our main focus, nor do we accept the donation of collections unrelated to the history of the University.
Items collected and maintained by the University Archives & Special Collections include documents relating to:
- the founding of James Millikin University
- University presidents, the board of trustees/managers, faculty, staff, and students during their time at the University
- University organizations
- University committees and task forces
- University colleges, divisions, units, majors, etc.
- University events
- University students
Also collected are University publications such as:
- yearbooks, newspapers, and student publications (e.g., The Collage magazine)
- alumni magazines, newsletters, & directories
- Bronzeman Books
- University music recordings
- University bulletins & directories
The links in the menu to your right will take you to pages that describe our:
- cuneiform collection (added to the collection by Millikin's first president, Albert Reynolds Taylor, in 1922),
- the Digital Decaturian Project (the digitization of the first 50 years of the student newspaper in 2007)
- JMS Project collection (senior honors student projects).
Other one-off special collections acquired over the years include items and books relating to Stephen Decatur, an Alice in Wonderland collection (search "Alice in Wonderland" in our online catalog and limit the location to "Archives" to see holdings), and a collection of WWI pamphlets collected by Dr. Daniel Gage.
Finding aids to our collections are posted below (as they are created):
- Millikin University Alumni Collections: Alice Ambrose Lazerowitz, Angela Davis Grace, Audrey Baxter, Betty Joyce Eikenberry, Beulah Pelton, Chester Chet Malins, Clara Lefever, Donna Rees, E. M. "Turk" Edwards, Ellis Hudson, Evelyn Claire Scott Yelton, Evelyn Wait, Glea Bell Simshauser, Ida Diller Record, James Moses, Jessie Weiler, Keach Bone, Klondis Pirtle, I. Laurence "Bill" & Anna Magill Sears, Marie Nina Shaw, Maude Haake, Modesta Scott, Ruth Rink, William Ross, Wilma Lux, Wilna Moffett.
- Millikin University Athletics Collections: Ralph Allan
- Millikin University Faculty Collections: Grace Patten Conant, Catherine & Kenneth Stilwell
- Millikin University Organization Collections: Student Army Training Corps (SATC)
- Millikin University President Collections: Albert Reynolds Taylor, George Emory Fellows, John Charles Hessler, Louis E. Holden, Mark Embury Penney, Jesse Hayes White, Clarence L. Miller, J. Walter Malone, Paul Leonard McKay.