Millikin University has a three-year residential requirement forfull-time, undergraduate students. Students may live in Universityoperated residence halls and apartments, Greek chapter houses, and theWoods at Millikin.
Students enrolled part-time may request to live in the residencehalls. Any part-time student wishing to request on-campus residenceshould contact the Office of Residence Life.
Sophomores, juniors and seniors may petition to live in an approvedfraternity or sorority house if they are active members, and if space isavailable. Fraternity and sorority members may gain approval to live inGreek houses by the Director of Student Programs and ChapterPresidents.
Certain academic scholarship recipients are required to live oncampus for four years and may have certain housing requirements tied totheir program.
Students wishing to live off-campus must meet one of the following criteria:
Special Notes- Please Read!
- Be 22 years of age or older
- Be married (marriage license may be required)
- Have dependents
- Be of senior standing (88 credits or more and by matriculation, beginning their 7th Millikin semester) at the beginning of the fall term
- Live within a 40 mile radius of campus and living with a close relative
- Demonstrate significant financial hardship (defined as having exhausted all loan eligibility- verified through the Student Services Center)
- Have a significant medical condition that warrants routine medical care that cannot be administered in University housing (ie. live-in care, medical documentation required).
- Students who meet one of the above criteria may submit an off-campus petition. Off-Campus petitions are due no later than April 1st. Petitions received after this date may be denied. Petitions must be fully completed, including a valid address of residence, in order to be considered.
- Students who do not meet the above criteria or who fail to submit an off-campus petition as directed, will be assessed an off-campus living fee. The off-campus living fee is equal to the average room rate in a given academic year. For the 2011-2012 academic year, the average room rate is approximately $5400.
- Students who request to commute from home must be commuting from the permanent home address of the parent, guardian or cited relative. Students found to falsify this information will also be subject to the off-campus fee.
- Students who are approved to live-off campus are required to attend two University-sponsored safety meetings (1 in the spring/summer prior to living off-campus, and 1 in the fall semester of living off-campus). Failure to attend these meetings will result in revocation of approval to live off-campus.
- Students who choose to live off-campus should also be aware that the University does not provide transportation (safe rides) to or from off-campus residences not affiliated with the University
A note about conduct off-campus:
Students who live off-campus are expected to conduct themselves inaccordance with the Millikin University Student Handbook and the Code ofConduct. Violations of University policy, whether on or off-campus,will be met with disciplinary action. The Office of Residence Lifefollows a simple "three strikes" policy for off-campus students. If theUniversity fields 3 or more complaints regarding an off-campus studentand/or their address, off-campus approval will be revoked and eachindividual will be responsible for payment of the off-campus living fee.We encourage off-campus residents to be aware of their role as aneighbor in the Decatur community and to respect the privilege of livingwithin that community. We caution students about engaging in activitiesor hosting events that may endanger themselves or their peers. Weexpect all Millikin students to conduct themselves with integrity andappropriateness.