Opened in 2003, Blue Connection is Millikin University’s retail art gallery located in the Madden Arts Center in Downtown Decatur. Focused on arts and specialty businesses, the retail location is used by students in Millikin's Arts & Entrepreneurship Program to grow their businesses. Products are conceived, designed, and/or crafted by the students who sell them. This year, Blue Connection hosted ten “After 5 Live” gallery events with exhibit openings on the first Friday of each month. The featured artists interact with guests and give a brief talk at the event.
The 2016-17 exhibit schedule featured:
- 2016 Robert Harrison Crowder Artist-in-Residence Emma Morrison ’17 (B.F.A. studio art)
- Millikin art alumni with Rachel Holden ’11 (B.A. art), Brady Rhoades ’09 (B.F.A. Commercial Art/ Computer Design) and Casey Wilen ’06 (B.F.A. art)
- Natalie Zelman ’17 (B.F.A. studio art) and Taryn Pepping ’17 (B.F.A. art therapy)
- “Three is the Magic Number” featuring Shani Goss ’93 (B.F.A. art)
- “Unapologetically Black” featuring Tyrone Perry ’18 (studio art)
- “The Essentials of Modern Living” featuring Millikin faculty members Jamie Kotewa ’98 (B.F.A. art therapy), Johnny Power and John Hanson, and Kelly Sibthorp ’12 (B.F.A. studio art) and Jason Hoffman.
- “Clay in May” featuring Michael Holmberg ’19, Sydney Karon ’17 (B.A. art) and Madilyn Sperry ’17 (B.A. art).
- 2017 Robert Harrison Crowder Artist-in-Residence Madison Ciaccio ’18 (art therapy)
The gallery also participated in community arts events, including Arts in Central Park, the Downtown Christmas Walk and PopLocal — a new “pop-up” handmade market in Decatur.
Millikin’s Arts & Entrepreneurship Program (A&E) Program is a six-credit course sequence providing learning-based business opportunities for students to practice self employment. The program utilizes curricular-based, experiential activities and student-run ventures to give students a live laboratory experience in developing, launching, and growing a business. Rather than learn before doing, students are expected to learn while doing by first launching a micro-venture in the program’s introductory course The Art of Entrepreneurship. Then, students explore growth though Blue Connection.
Hours of operation
12:00 PM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
By Appointment (call 217.521.4866)
Stay connected with Millikin's Big Blue Connection by following us on your favorite social media sites.