Common Questions about Off-Campus Housing
Who is required to live on campus?
Millikin University has a three-year residency requirement (live on campus for 6 semesters) for full-time, undergraduate students. Freshmen, sophomore, and junior students must live on campus. Students may live in University operated residence halls and apartments, Greek chapter houses, and The Woods at Millikin.
Why does Millikin require students to live on campus?
Millikin University is a residential institution. It is our philosophy and belief that residential living is a key to student success. We support research that indicates students graduate at a higher rate when they choose to live on campus. Part of what makes Millikin special is its vibrant campus life, which is further enriched by our residential community.
Is there any way to live off campus if I am not a senior?
Students wishing to live off-campus must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be 24 years of age or older by August 1 of petition year
- Be married (marriage license may be required)
- Have dependents and provide necessary documentation (tax return or certificate)
- Be of senior standing (88 credits or more and beginning 7th semester at Millikin) at the beginning of the term
- Live within a 40-mile radius of campus and living with a parent at parent’s permanent home address. You must submit a copy of home’s electric bill and complete the Commuter Notary Form.
- Demonstrate significant financial hardship (defined as having exhausted all loan eligibility - verified through the Office of Student Financial Services). Unmet need must equal $5,000 and unmet need form must be submitted with the petition.
Students who meet one of the above criteria must submit an off-campus petition, which can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Off-campus petitions are good for one academic year. For the 2021-2022 academic year, off-campus petitions and all required forms are due no later than March 30, 2021. Petitions received after this date will be denied. Petitions must be fully completed, including a valid address of residence, in order to be considered.
What happens if I choose to live off campus and do not qualify?
Students who do not meet the above criteria, who fail to submit an off-campus petition (and all the paperwork when commuting) as directed and/or who are found in fault of falsifying their paperwork, will be assessed an off-campus living fee. The off-campus living fee is equal to the average room rate in a given academic year. For the 2021-2022 academic year, the average room rate is $8,000.
The off campus charge of $8,000 will be assessed on July 1. After July 1, no additional petitions will be considered and the fine will remain.