Actors From The London Stage: The Tempest
From magic, a storm; from a storm, vengeance; from vengeance, virtue. The dramatic themes of Shakespeare’s The Tempest resonate strongly with every passing year. Indeed, the passage of time and knowledge is one of the play’s most important themes, with a wronged man learning to wield his power with humility and empathy. Filled with romantic machinations, political scheming, and some of Shakespeare’s most vivid characters, The Tempest is a perennially popular tale now seen as one of his greatest works.
Founded in 1975, Actors from The London Stage (AFTLS) is one of the oldest touring Shakespeare theatre companies in the world. They perform Shakespeare’s plays with a very basic production, using minimal props, no set, and the actors never leave the stage. Each actor plays multiple roles and frequently shifts characters while on stage, offering an intriguing and often comedic effect. Touring both in the fall and spring, AFTLS visits approximately 16-20 universities in a year, giving students and faculty a chance to experience their dynamic and enriching performing arts program. The vibrant hands-on nature of the program provides an extraordinary opportunity to engage faculty and students far beyond the confines of the English and Theatre departments. AFTLS has been in residence at numerous prestigious institutions including the University of Texas-Austin, Wellesley College, Dartmouth College, Stanford University, Emory University, and the U.S. Naval Academy.
- William Donaldson: Alonso/Stephano/Juno/Captain
- David Rubin: Prospero/Antonio
- Molly Vevers: Miranda/Ariel/Adrian/Ceres/Boatswain
- Noel White: Caliban/Gonzalo/Iris
- Arthur Wilson: Ferdinand/Sebastian/Trinculo
- Tuesday, March 3rd 4pm-5pm
- Tuesday, March 3rd 6pm-8pm & 8pm-10pm
- Thursday, March 5th PASS Performance 10:00 am
- Thursday, March 5th Full Performance 7:30 pm
Kirkland Fine Arts Center
- Single ticket prices: $15
- Children's Tickets- $10 (available by phone or in person only)
- Seniors 65 and older, groups or 10 or more, and other discounts available by phone or in person. Call the Kirkland Ticket Office, 217-424-6319, and ask about our discounts and package deals!
Save money when buying ticket packages of 3 or more shows!
For more information go to shakespeare.nd.edu/actors-from-the-london-stage/