Millikin Community Choir
The Millikin Community Choir (MCC) is a regional choir dedicated to bringing the joy of singing and the lasting development of musical knowledge and skill to all participants. The program features three choirs and is a curricular offering of the Millikin Community Arts Academy within the School of Music at Millikin. Our goal is to provide developmentally appropriate music education through the art of choral singing to the families and the community of central Illinois.
The choirs are conducted by master choral teachers with advanced music degrees and are under the direction of Christine Smith, Program and Artistic Director. MCC singers range from 5 to 18 years old. Special events may include tours to surrounding schools, joint concerts with other children’s choirs, and a choir festival. Placement interviews and registration for the choirs are held in early fall or by request.
- Dolce Choir: K-1, Director Christine Smith: Meets Tuesdays from 4:15-5:00 p.m. Cost is $75 per semester
- Children are taught, primarily through play-party game songs and simple unison songs, to love singing and to use their voices with freedom. Emphasis is also placed on the difference between speaking and singing voices, and comparative musical concepts such as high/low, fast/slow, and loud/soft.
- Harmonia Choir: Grades 2-3, Director Christine Smith: Meets Tuesdays from 4:15-5:15 p.m. Cost is $100 per semester
- Singers in this choir are able to match pitch and sing in tune with others. A goal for this group is to begin to sing more than one part at a time, by adding a vocal ostinato or singing in a round or canon. In addition to Harmonia's rehearsal time, the group's rehearsal will overlap with Dolce and Descant.
- Descant Choir: Grades 4-6, Director Melissa Miller: Meets Tuesdays from 4:15-5:15 p.m. Cost is $100 per semester
- Singers have demonstrated through either participation or by placement interview, choral readiness. The ability to match pitch, keep a steady beat, clap simple rhythms, and readiness to label and identify the musical concepts will be assessed during placement interviews. Ability to sustain early choral rehearsal procedures is also a prerequisite to participation at this level.
- Kaleidoscope Choir: Grades 7-12, Director Andrea Welty Peachey, Meets Tuesdays
- Grades 7-8 from 4:15-5:15 p.m. Cost is $100 per semester
- Grades 9-12 from 4:15-5:45 p.m. Cost is $150 per semester
- Membership in the top ensemble is reserved for the singer ready for the most challenging repertoire, increased rehearsal intensity and performance requirements. Multiple languages, varied styles and repertoire, solos, and small ensemble performance can be expected at this level.
Becoming a member
The Millikin Community Choir is always looking for more youth ages 5 to 18 to include in our program. Placement interviews are held annually in September, but you may join the program in January, as well.
Choral group placement interviews
Each singer in the MCC program will be asked to meet with the choir directors for a placement interview. These auditions help determine which choir each student will be placed in. In addition, the interview time allows every singer and parent the opportunity to meet his/her choir director and have any questions answered prior to the first rehearsal.
During the placement interview, singers should expect to sing as well as demonstrate any musical skills that they may already know. Sequenced skill development means that each singer will make the most musical progress in a group that matches his or her current knowledge and skill level. We aspire to provide a non-threatening, fun learning atmosphere for each singer that challenges and maximizes musical growth. The program provides vertical alignment for students to progress through the levels of instruction at their own pace.
Fall 2022 placement interviews will be held Tuesday, September 6, 2022. Rehearsals are September 13-December 6, 2022 and will culminate in a concert on December 6, 2022.No rehearsal is held November 22, 2022
Rehearsals take place on Tuesday evenings in the Millikin University Perkinson Music Center (1184 West Main Street).
- Dolce Choir: K-1, 4:15-5:00 p.m.
- Harmonia Choir: Grades 2-3, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Descant Choir: Grades 4-6, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Kaleidoscope Choir: Grades 7-8, 4:15-5:15 p.m. and Grades 9-12, 4:15-5:45 p.m.
Millikin University Campus
Perkinson Music Center: Kirland Fine Arts Center, Pilling Chapel
Christine Smith, Artistic and Music Director, 217.413.7811
Millikin University School of Music
Millikin Community Arts Academy
1184 W. Main Street
Decatur, IL 62522