Division of Enrollment (Athletics)
Position Title: Tennis Graduate Assistant
Reports to: Head Tennis Coach and Athletic Director
Works Closely with: Athletic Department Staff; Enrollment Staff, Tennis Team Members, and Athletic Director
Position Summary: This position will report to the Head Tennis Coach and Athletic Director. This internship is designed as a 10-month experience from August 1, to May 31. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one-year renewal.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities - Intern Functions:
Under the guidance of the Head Tennis Coach, the Intern will:
- Assist with on-the-court coaching and individual player development.
- Assist with coaching junior varsity and varsity during practice and competitions.
- Assist with identification, recruitment, and retention of student-athletes.
- Assist in all areas of team development, including in-season and out-of-season activities as allowed by Millikin, CCIW, and NCAA.
- Assist in the day-to-day operation, including but not limited to, video editing, travel and equipment.
- Assist in promoting the tennis program through social media and game-day events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Tennis Coach.
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
- Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management beyond tennis.
- Perform duties in the area of event management.
- Perform duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics to assist with different sports programs at Millikin.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Tennis coaching and/or playing experience at the collegiate level
- The successful candidate must demonstrate effective and excellent leadership, motivational, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting/standing/bending/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Outdoor exposure to weather
- Alternative or flexible work schedule
- Travel and/or periodic overnight travel