Division of Finance and Business Affairs
Position Title: PRN University Driver
Department: Public Safety
FLSA: Hourly- Non Exempt
- Reports to: Director of Public Safety
- Works Closely with: Public Safety Administrative Assistant, Athletics, Campus Community generally
- Directly Supervises: None
Job Summary: This position serves as a bus and/or van driver for the institution. Representing the university with professional driving and service to our campus community users. By definition, this position will require travel, some of which may be overnights and extended stays.
At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
1. Safe operation of university vehicles in the performance of their duties
2. Pre-trip safety inspections of assigned vehicle
3. Trip planning for most efficient and safe route
4. Post-trip safety inspections of vehicle and correct notification of any noted deficiencies
5. Act as a University Ambassador of goodwill
1. Transport vehicles for off-site maintenance and inspections
2. Pick up or shuttle vehicles as needed
3. Other driving related duties as assigned
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Education: High School Diploma/GED preferred,
- Experience: 1-2 years prior professional (CDL) driving experience; Minimum age of 21 due to interstate travel expectations; bus and/or vehicle maintenance experience preferred
- Certifications/Licenses: Valid “B” Commercial Driver’s License with passenger endorsements; current Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card preferred
- Specialized Knowledge and Skills: First aid/CPR/AED preferred; attention to detail; time management; work prioritization to meet deadlines; ability to adapt and adjust sometimes on short notice; mental toughness to perform duties during adverse conditions.
- Dexterity to operate assigned vehicle without unreasonable modification or accommodation.
- Ability to handle small hand tools as needed to perform routine inspections and light vehicle maintenance as needed.
- Physical condition sufficient to perform necessary driving related duties (occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs.
- Intermittently sitting/walking/standing/stooping/climbing
- Extended driving “seat” time
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range (corrected)
- Typical working conditions found in most commercial driving occupations which includes driving in adverse, challenging weather conditions;
- Fleet Operations are potentially a 24x7 operation so scheduling flexibility is required to accommodate changing business needs.
Hazards: As associated in working in the professional/commercial driving field.