Division of Finance and Business Affairs
Position Title: Part-time Security Officer & Dispatcher
Department: Public Safety
FLSA: Hourly – Non exempt
Reports to: Security and Parking Coordinator/Security Team Leaders
Works Closely with: Campus community, regional and local law enforcement, fire department.
Directly Supervises: None
Job Summary: This position serves a dual role as a Public Safety security officer and dispatcher for the institution. Ensuring the safety of the community via diligent patrol, life safety checks, and service to the campus community. They also ensure the safety of the community, via monitoring of campus alarm systems, phone lines, radio network, weather/news sources, handling walk in customers, and acting as an ambassador of the department and University.
This position has been designated as an “Essential” Employee under the Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to ensure that University operations continue uninterrupted during periods of public health or other emergencies, including those that require Millikin University to close or restrict operations.
At Millikin University, we value:
Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
Passion and enthusiasm
Dignity and respect for individuals
A diverse and inclusive community
Integrity and responsibility
Advancement of the greater good
1. Day to day patrol activity to ensure campus safety and security
2. Security staffing of special events and programs
3. Life safety checks of campus buildings and systems
4. Securing and un-securing of campus buildings and classrooms
5. General Investigation and reporting of incidents on campus
6. Enforcement of University rules and regulations
7. Maintain secure control of lost and found or evidentiary items
8. Act as a first responder in crisis situations, including medical emergencies
9. Observe and report any suspicious activity, threats to campus safety, or other concerns
10. Respond and check fire, burglar, and duress alarms at campus property
11. Provide safety escorts to campus community members as needed
12. Act as customer service representative for the department
13. Monitor and use university radio network to support Public Safety personnel in the field
14. Monitor university alarm (fire/burglar/panic) systems
15. Monitor university access control system
16. Monitor weather alert radio
17. Monitor radio scanner for potential safety threats to campus
18. Maintain department databases, including parking program
19. Administer day to day sign out of key sets and issued keys
20. Administer day to day sign out of university vehicles
21. Maintain secure control of lost and found and/or evidentiary items
22. Act as a first responder in crisis situations, including medical emergencies
23. Observe and report any suspicious activity, threats to campus safety, or other concerns
24. Serve as 24 hour contact point for University administration
25. Utilize the crisis communication networks for the institution as directed
1. Other duties as assigned
Minimum Position Qualifications:
High School Diploma/GED required, Associates degree or higher preferred
Prior Military, Corrections, Law Enforcement, Dispatch, Security preferred.
Microsoft Office Suite
Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills
Ability to organize
Attention to detail
Time management; work prioritization to meet deadlines
Ability to adapt and adjust sometimes on short notice
Mental toughness to perform and lead during crisis.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard, computer and other office equipment.
- Physical condition sufficient to perform necessary security related duties (occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs.)
- Intermittently sitting/walking/standing/stooping
- Using tools requiring high dexterity
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas and security related field conditions
- Public Safety is a 24x7 operation so scheduling flexibility is required to accommodate changing business needs.
Hazards: As associated in working in the safety and security field.
Background Checks and or Testing:
X Background, criminal, and driving history check
X Drug test
X Driving record check