Division of Student Affairs
Position Title: Graduate Assistant, Campus Life Residential Operations
Department: Office of Campus Life
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Assistant Director of Campus Life Residential Operations
- Works Closely with: Campus Life Professional and Paraprofessional Staff, residential students, etc.
- Directly Supervises: Senior Resident Assistants/Resident Assistants/Operations Student Staff
Job Summary: This is a 10-month Graduate Assistantship (GA) through Illinois State University’s College Student Personnel Administration (CSPA) program, reporting to the Assistant Director of Campus Life, the GA will assist with the daily operations of the Millikin University residential community and assist in the departmental functions of the Office of Campus Life. Applicant must be admitted into Illinois State University’s CSPA program and pass a successful background check.
- Act as a liaison to upperclassmen residential students (sophomore, junior, and senior students).
- Lead mediations and meetings to address roommate conflicts and concerns.
- Follow up with financial hardships, or those who have past due housing or utility payments.
- Assist with all upperclassmen housing declaration, educational, and social programming.
- Lead the upperclassmen residential orientation process for new transfer and international students.
- Oversee the International Fellow roommate program.
- Assist with the supervision, training, and development of para-professional staff including Senior Resident Assistants, Resident Assistants, and other student employees.
- Serve as a level one student conduct officer for violations of the Millikin University Standards of Conduct.
- Assistance in the coordination of departmental functions such as housing placement and selection, paraprofessional staff selection and training, and assessment.
- Assist the Office of Campus Life in working with off-campus student safety programming.
- Co-advise Student Housing Council, the governance organization for all residential students at Millikin.
- In consultation with supervisor, schedule and hold at least 20 in-person work hours per week. Additional hours may be required for on-call responsibilities.
- Responsible for adhering to all policies and regulations set by the University and the Office of Campus Life.
- In conjunction with ISU Graduate Assistant standards, the incumbent will be expected to work an average of 28 hours per week. A flexible schedule will be necessary and the ability to work evening and weekend hours will be expected.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (required) and acceptance into Illinois State University’s College Student Personnel Administration program.
Experience: 2 years of experience working in residence life during undergraduate studies (preferred)
- Specialized Knowledge and Skills: Superior organizational skills and work ethic, energy and enthusiasm for working with a diverse population of students, personal ownership of one’s own professional development. Successful candidates will have prior Residence Life experience (or closely-related experience) and should also possess an appreciation of data-driven decision making, an inclusive campus community, mentoring, and innovation.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Occasionally sitting at a desk or table
- Occasional lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Intermittently sitting/standing
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
- Alternative or flexible work schedules.
Compensation and Benefits: The Graduate Assistant will receive full tuition remission plus a monthly stipend of $1000.00. Additionally, the successful Graduate Assistant will be expected to live on-campus (at Millikin) and will receive a furnished apartment free of charge. A generous meal plan will also be provided at no charge. A complimentary parking pass will be provided. All graduate assistants must meet the minimum requirements as outlined in the Illinois State University Graduate Assistant Handbook (https://hr.illinoisstate.edu/student/graduate/). Graduate Assistants must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA in order to retain their position.