Division of President
Position Title: Executive Assistant
Department: President’s Office
FLSA Category: Non-Exempt
- Reports to: President
- Works Closely with: President and Chief of Staff
- Directly Supervises: N/A
Job Summary: This position serves as the first point of contact in the President’s Office supporting the President and Chief of Staff with all required related administrative functions. Duties performed require thorough knowledge of the activities of the President’s office and the University, as well as, University programs, policies and procedures.
This position has been designated as an “Alternate” Employee under the Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to ensure that University operations continue uninterrupted during periods of public health or other emergencies, including those that require Millikin University to close or restrict operations.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the university. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
1. Serves as the initial point of contact for Millikin colleagues and external visitors to the President’s Office and must project a welcoming and professional demeanor to all.
2. Performs typing and transcription duties as required by the President.
3. Responsible for answering phones and taking messages, filing, taking inventory and ordering of office supplies, and sorting and distributing office mail.
4. Maintains the President’s calendar and determines the necessity of appointments. Schedules appointments as required or refers individual to appropriate person on campus.
5. Sends out, as needed, form-type emails, memos and letters to both campus community and outside of campus as directed by the President.
6. Schedules appointments as required for Chief of Staff.
7. Supports the Chief of Staff with Board of Trustees’ mailings and projects.
8. In conjunction with Chief of Staff, assists in training student worker and assigning daily work.
9. Keyboards documents containing confidential or sensitive information.
10. Establishes and maintains the President’s confidential records and files.
11. Maintains the strictest of confidentiality in handling President’s communication and notes, other sensitive material, conversation, correspondence and Board of Trustees’ mailings.
1. Additional job duties as required by the President and the Chief of Staff to the President.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- High School Degree or equivalent; Associate of Arts Degree or equivalent credit hours preferred
- Five years of secretarial experience – two of which should include working for upper level management
- Familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet software (Proficient in Microsoft Office preferred);
- Excellent knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize
- Professional Secretary Certification preferred
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Typically climbs stairs in a normal day.
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas.