Division of Alumni and Development
Position Title: Associate Director of Major Gifts or Director of Major Gifts
Department: Alumni & Development
FLSA Category: Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director of Development
Works Closely with: Alumni & Development staff, individual donors.
Directly Supervises: N/A
Job Summary: This development professional is responsible for maintaining a prospect pool for discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts. The title and position expectations will differ depending on experience level. The position is primarily responsible for raising major commitments in support of operational and capital needs, and will also be responsible of cultivating/soliciting major donors for the Annual Fund.
All employees are expected to uphold the following values of the University:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Manage a list of 75-100 donor prospects capable of making a commitment of $10,000 or more to Millikin University; moving them from discovery/identification through cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Manage a list of 25-50 donor prospects capable of making a commitment of $1000 or more to Millikin University, and specifically the Annual Fund; moving them from discovery/identification through cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, toward major gift status.
- Manage fund drives and campaigns as assigned.
Contribute to the Alumni and Development Division and the University
- Contribute to Division and University initiatives, meetings, team sessions, and committees as appropriate or assigned.
- Host and staff division and university events as required.
- Represent the University to the central Illinois and higher education community in a professional manner.
- Maintain and exhibit loyalty to the University, the Alumni & Development Division, and the development profession.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Development or the Vice President for Alumni & Development.
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One to five years of work in the development field, preferred
- Title, position, and salary range will differ, based on experience level
- Knowledge of individual donor fund raising, including a working knowledge of planned and estate giving
- Results-oriented with commitment to prospect/donor relationship
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – be a “people” person – enjoy working and communicating with others
- Evidence of personal initiative and follow through
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to plan, evaluate, and improve initiatives to achieve desired results
- Knowledge of higher education, Millikin University and Decatur area, preferred
- Be a competent writer of business communications
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Sufficient to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasional standing and/or walking for extended periods of time
- Occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs
- Tasks requiring average visual acuity and hearing.
- Must be able to navigate stairs.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
- Occasional outdoor exposure to weather
- Occasional evening and weekend working hours required as well as periodic travel.
- Must have valid driver’s license.