Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Dean of Admission
Department: Office of Admission
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing
- Works Closely with: Academic Deans and Department Chairs, Alumni & Development, Athletic Department, Marketing & Media Relations, Student Development, Student Financial Services
- Directly Supervises: Director of Admission, Director of Graduate/Transfer Admission, Director of International Admission, Director of Operations & Events and an executive assistant
Job Summary: Millikin University is seeking a Dean of Admission to provide vision and leadership to its recruitment team and operations. The successful candidate will report directly to the Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing and exemplify a passion for higher education, a keen knowledge of best practices in admission and recruitment, and a vigor for building relationships with prospective students and families and throughout the University. The Dean will embrace the University’s Performance Learning approach, diverse student body, culturally rich environment, and high standard of excellence with exceptional commitment, ownership, energy, integrity, communication skills, leadership ability, professional acumen and technological prowess to meet successfully the University’s recruitment goals.
This position has been designated as an “Alternate” Employee under the Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to ensure that University operations continue uninterrupted during periods of public health or other emergencies, including those that require Millikin University to close or restrict operations.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Millikin University’s mission is to deliver on the promise of education and to prepare students for professional success, democratic citizenship in a global environment, and a personal life of meaning and value.
● Serve as the University expert on all admission and recruitment issues facing private, comprehensive universities in the Midwest and throughout higher education.
● Aggressively seek and recruit academically, artistically and athletically talented students to increase Millikin’s diverse student body and achieve strategic enrollment goals.
● Create, develop and execute strategic recruitment plans for Millikin’s traditional and non-traditional undergraduate, graduate and non-degree programs for domestic and international students.
● Understand and employ financial aid leveraging strategies to enhance growth and intentionally shape the student body.
● Creatively lead, manage, and develop a team of nearly 20 admission professionals to implement best practices in recruitment strategies, tactics, and operations.
● Embrace and utilize recruitment and retention technologies including, but not limited to, the University’s student information system (Ellucian Banner) and customer relationship management system (TargetX) to maximize efficiencies.
● Strengthen brand awareness and ensure communication of Millikin’s Performance Learning brand.
● Serve as a strong partner to faculty, master a clear knowledge of the University’s academic offerings and culture, and lead faculty engagement in the recruitment process.
● Work closely with the Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing to lead strategic planning for growth in the student body at Millikin University.
● Communicate effectively and proactively with others – prospective students, University colleagues, and external constituencies – at all times.
● Other duties as assigned or needed.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have a master’s degree and a minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in admission or enrollment management in higher education. A master’s degree with 10 years of experience is preferred. The individual should have extensive experience in higher education admissions demonstrating:
An outstanding record of successful recruitment
A hunger, drive, energy and competitive spirit for recruitment in private higher education
Evidence of effective team leadership, management, training and skills-development
Proficiency and adaptability in using enrollment technologies and/or data systems
Strong ability to access, analyze, and utilize data and to engage in strategic planning
Talent, charm, skill and strength in building relationships with prospective students and their families as well as with key University partners to achieve University goals
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Employment and first day of work is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Millikin University is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups in this field are encouraged to apply. Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Millikin University is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn, and thrive. Millikin offers a competitive salary and full benefit package. Desired start date is July 1, 2019.The position will remain open until filled.