Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Communications Specialist
Department: Marketing Office
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Director of Media Relations and Publications
- Works Closely with: Marketing & Media Relations Team; Alumni and Development Office; Admission Office; Academic Departments; University Clients
Job Summary: The communications specialist is a full-time position responsible for developing content and supporting the strategic development of communications and marketing for the University. From web content to advertisements, emails to newsletters, social media to direct mailers, the communications specialist will assist in writing/editing copy and creating print and electronic communications for various mediums in support of the goals within the Marketing & Media Relations Office. The communications specialist will also serve as a project manager for several internal projects, take the lead in overseeing social media content, and be responsible for sending email communications through the University’s CRM (TargetX). A successful candidate enjoys writing, utilizing social media, and working collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students across the University.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Conceptualizes, writes, edits, and proofs content for a diverse array of University projects.
- Serves as a social media coordinator by collaborating with the team to develop and implement social media campaigns.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously and delivers projects to meet deadlines.
- Creation and development of email mass communication
- Assist with reporting analytics and insights for the Millikin website, Millikin social media accounts, and mass email communications.
- Additional job related duties as required by the supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned or as needed.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Strong written and communication skills, as well as excellent skills in copy editing and proofreading. Familiarity with journalistic styles, standards, and ethics preferred.
- Experience in social media marketing.
- Experienced skills working with a content-management system.
- A high level of creativity, plus the ability to produce editorial content in a fast paced environment.
- Professional demeanor, with a positive, team-oriented attitude.
- Excellent organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Two or more years of experience working in higher education, development and/or executing electronic marketing materials, including targeting emails, social media platforms and website updates.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communication, journalism, English, or related field.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table, occasional standing and/or walking for periods of time.
- Occasional lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas, occasional outdoor exposure to weather, occasional evening and weekend working hours required as well as occasional travel. Must have valid driver’s license.