Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Communications Specialist
Department: Marketing Office
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Executive Director of Marketing & Communications
- Works Closely with: Marketing & Media Relations Team; Alumni and Development Office; Admission Office; Academic Departments; University Clients
Job Summary: The communications specialist is a full-time position responsible for developing content and supporting the strategic development of communications and marketing for the University. From web content to advertisements, emails to newsletters, social media to direct mailers, the communications specialist will assist in writing/editing copy and creating print and electronic communications for various mediums in support of the goals within the Marketing & Media Relations Office. The communications specialist will also serve as a project manager for several internal projects, take the lead in creation and implementation of social media content and marketing campaigns, connecting the efforts of marketing, recruitment, and alumni & development, and be responsible for sending email communications through the University’s CRM (TargetX). A successful candidate enjoys writing, utilizing social media, and working collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students across the University.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Conceptualizes, writes, edits, and proofs content for a diverse array of University projects including, but not limited to, news articles, events, social media and student profiles.
- Serves as a social media coordinator by collaborating with the team to develop and implement social media campaigns.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously and delivers projects to meet deadlines.
- Creation and development of email mass communication
- Reports on analytics and insights for the Millikin social media accounts and mass email communications while intentionally implementing campaigns to increase conversions and traffic and overall better user experience for our digital advertisements.
- Additional job-related duties as required by the supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned or as needed.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Strong written and communication skills, as well as excellent skills in copy editing and proofreading. Familiarity with journalistic styles, standards, and ethics preferred.
- Experience in social media marketing.
- A high level of creativity, plus the ability to produce editorial content in a fast-paced environment.
- Professional demeanor, with a positive, team-oriented attitude.
- Excellent organizational skills, with accuracy and superior attention to detail.
- Two or more years of experience working in marketing and communications, executing electronic marketing materials, including targeted emails, social media platforms and website updates.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communication, journalism, English, or related field.
- Preferred experience working with a content-management system.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table, occasional standing and/or walking for periods of time.
- Occasional lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas, occasional outdoor exposure to weather, occasional evening and weekend working hours required as well as occasional travel. Must have valid driver’s license.