Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Communication Specialist
Department: Marketing and Media Relations Office
FLSA Category: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Alumni and Development Communications/Editor
Works Closely with: Marketing & Media Relations Office, Admission Office, Academic Departments, Alumni & Development Office, Student Development Offices, President’s Office, Vice President of Enrollment and Marketing
Job Summary: The Communication Specialist is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Alumni and Development Communications/Editor working with the Marketing and Media Relations team. The position is responsible for creating content, managing projects through completion, and supporting the strategic development of all communication/marketing materials for the Alumni and Development Office for the purpose of increasing constituent engagement and financial support for the University.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Create content for all platforms of communication materials primarily focusing on the Alumni and Development Office, which will increase alumni and friend engagement and giving among many diverse constituents.
- Assist with strategic planning and generation of creative ideas for the purpose of increasing constituent engagement and ultimate financial support from alumni and friends.
- Provide support to multiple projects.
- Support the development of the Millikin Magazine.
- Collaborate with the Alumni and Development team to produce and implement creative fundraising and engagement projects.
- Manage Millikin’s Alumni and Development email mass communication efforts.
- Develop and manage content for the Alumni and Development section of the Millikin website.
- Create content for Alumni and Development Office social media platforms.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Alumni and Development Communications/Editor.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communication, Writing, Marketing, Business or other related field.
- Strong writing and communication skills, as well as strong skills in copy editing and proofreading. Familiarity with AP style and journalistic standards and ethics preferred.
- Experience in social media marketing.
- A high level of creativity, plus the ability to produce editorial content in a fast paced environment.
- Professional demeanor, with a positive, team-orientated attitude.
- Excellent organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Two years of experience working in higher education, development and/or executing electronic marketing materials, including targeting emails, social media platforms and website updates. Preference given to those candidates who also have experience in developing and/or executing print communication materials.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table, occasional standing and/or walking for periods of time.
- Occasional lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas, occasional outdoor exposure to weather, occasional evening and weekend working hours required as well as occasional travel. Must have valid driver’s license.