Division of Enrollment (Athletics)
Position Title: Assistant Women’s Soccer Coach Intern
Reports to: Head Women’s Soccer Coach
Works closely with: Athletic Department Staff, Soccer Team Members
Position Summary: This position will report to the Head Women’s Soccer Coach. This internship is designed as a 10 month educational experience from mid-July or August 1 to May 31 and is designed to give an individual with an interest in coaching the opportunity to hone his or her skill development and coaching ability in one or more positions. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one year renewal.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Under the guidance of the Head Women’s Soccer Coach, the Intern will:
- Assist with identification, evaluation, and recruitment of student-athletes.
- Assist in all areas of team performance, including pre-season, post-season training, practice and competition.
- Be able and willing to coach individuals, small groups, and whole-team training sessions when necessary.
- Monitor the academic progress of student-athletes and provide encouragement, support and referral assistance as appropriate.
- Assist in the day-to-day operations, including not limited to, recruiting, assisting in strength and conditioning, video breakdown, travel plans, equipment, and budget management.
- Assist and become active in promoting the program through social media.
- Implement and develop fundraising strategies to support annual operating budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Women’s Soccer Coach.
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
- Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management beyond soccer.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Coaching and/or playing experience at the collegiate level
- The successful candidate must demonstrate effective and excellent leadership, motivational, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting/standing/bending/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Outdoor exposure to weather
- Alternate or flexible work schedules
- Travel and/or periodic overnight travel
The stipend for this internship is $5000, and also includes a $1500 food allowance and on-campus housing. This internship does not necessarily entitle the individual a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.