Division of College of Professional Studies
Position Title: Tenure Track- Assistant Professor of Education
Department: School of Education
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Director of School of Education
- Works Closely with: Director of Education, Licensure Officer, University Supervisors, Cooperating Teachers, Teacher Candidates, Central Illinois Superintendents and Principals, Dean of the College of Professional Studies
- Directly Supervises: University Supervisors of Student Teaching
Job Summary: This Tenure Track position holds teaching responsibilities predominantly in the final classes of the Education programs and works with candidates on the Illinois licensure requirement of the edTPA in the college classroom and in clinical sites and utilizes the online platform to track data. Because co-teaching is a hallmark of Millikin’s School of Education, this position is responsible for facilitating training and instruction on the co-teaching model for faculty, supervisors, cooperating teachers, and teacher candidates. All faculty members of the School of Education are responsible for carrying out the mission, purpose, and program outcomes of the School of Education. Full-time faculty are responsible for making contributions in the areas of teaching, scholarship, service, and academic advising as described in the Millikin University Policies and Procedures and as delineated in the School of Education Unit Plan
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
This tenure track position will:
- Teach up to 24 credit hours per academic year;
- Be knowledgeable of Illinois State Board of Education policies and edTPA. Able to demonstrate the ability to merge edTPA knowledge with the aforementioned responsibilities in order to communicate the edTPA requirements and the implementation of co-teaching to cooperating teachers, senior level candidates, principals, and supervisors.
- Specialize in the senior level experience courses for students approaching as well as in the student teaching internship to facilitate the integration of co-teaching and the implementation of edTPA into the senior internship experiences.
- Collaborates with the Director and faculty of the SOE in the development, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum in the SOE.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the School of Education.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Eligiblility for tenure-track appointment at rank of assistant or associate professor with earned Ed.D or Ph.D in the field of Education or a field related to Education; eligibility for appointment at rank of instructor with Master’s degree if willing to enroll in a doctoral program within two years
- Knowledge of EdTPA and willingness to develop into the role as the EdTPA expert within the School of Education
- Experience in teaching college undergraduate or graduate students is distinctly advantageous, as is current knowledge of national teacher’s exams, and mentoring programs.
- Experience and/or openness to a variety of teaching modalities (e.g. distance learning, online instruction, etc.)
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or less
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas