Division of Alumni and Development
Position Title: Assistant or Associate Director of Annual Giving
Department: Alumni & Development
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Senior Director of Alumni Engagement & Annual Giving
- Works Closely with: Alumni & Development staff, Deans, Directors and campus partners, and individual donors.
Job Summary: The Assistant or Associate Director of Annual Giving is responsible for strategic planning, execution, and management of the annual giving program to successfully meet the University’s annual goal. This position seeks to increase annual giving and retention through the management of solicitation efforts – direct mail, electronic communication, phone solicitation, personal contacts, volunteer management, and collaboration with other members of the Alumni and Development office as well as other faculty and staff throughout campus.
All employees are expected to uphold the following values of the University:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Manage and execute direct solicitation of donors to increase their contribution to the University’s annual giving goals.
- Manage a list of 25-50 donor prospects; moving them from identification through cultivation, solicitation and stewardship to increase annual fund results.
- Manage and execute direct solicitation of various constituent groups to increase the percentage of giving and donor retention.
- Manage and track online, recurring, matching, EFT and payroll deduction giving.
- Effectively manage University budgeted dollars for annual giving solicitation.
- Manage all aspects of the phone solicitation efforts, including relationships with outside vendors.
Contribute to the Alumni and Development Division and the University
- Contribute to Division and University initiatives, meetings, team sessions, and committees as appropriate or assigned.
- Host and staff division and university events as appropriate.
- Represent the University to the Decatur and higher education community in a professional manner.
- Maintain and exhibit loyalty to the University, the Alumni & Development Division, and the Development profession.
- Work closely with the administrative assistant responsible for gift receipting to ensure timely receipting and stay appraised of giving trends.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Director of Engagement or Vice President for Alumni & Development.
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- One to three years of work in the development field preferred.
- Strong knowledge of individual donor fund raising and data management
- Results-oriented with commitment to prospect/donor relationship
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – be a “people” person – enjoy working and communicating with others
- Evidence of personal initiative and follow through
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to plan, evaluate, and improve initiatives to achieve desired results
- Knowledge of higher education, Millikin University and Decatur area preferred
- Be a competent writer of business communications
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Sufficient to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table.
- Occasional standing and/or walking for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs.
- Tasks requiring average visual acuity and hearing.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
- Occasional outdoor exposure to weather,
- Occasional evening and weekend working hours required as well as periodic travel.