Division of Enrollment (Athletics)
Position Title: Assistant Men’s Volleyball Coach Intern
Reports to: Head Men’s Volleyball Coach and Athletic Director
Works Closely with: Athletic Department Staff; Enrollment Staff, Men’s Volleyball Team Members, and Athletic Director
Position Summary: This position will report to the Head Men’s Volleyball Coach and Athletic Director. This position has the potential to become a Graduate Assistant, contingent upon being admitted to the MBA Program. This internship is designed as a 10-month educational experience from August 1, to May 31 and is designed to give an individual with an interest in coaching the opportunity to hone his skill development and coaching ability in one or more position areas. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one-year renewal.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities - Intern Functions:
Under the guidance of the Head Men’s Volleyball Coach, the Intern will:
- Assist the head coach with all aspects of the men’s volleyball program
- Assist with on the court coaching and individual player and team development.
- Assist with coaching junior varsity and varsity during practice and competitions.
- Assist with identification, recruitment, and retention of student-athletes.
- Assist in all areas of team development, including in-season and out-of-season activities as allowed by Millikin, CCIW, and NCAA.
- Assist in the day-to-day operation, including but not limited to, video editing, travel and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Volleyball Coach
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
- Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management
- Perform duties in the area of event management.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Volleyball playing experience at the collegiate level or coaching at the high school or college level
- The successful candidate must demonstrate effective and excellent leadership, motivational, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting/standing/bending/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Outdoor exposure to weather
- Alternative or flexible work schedule
- Travel and/or periodic overnight travel