Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Admission Counselor/Sr. Admission Counselor
FLSA Category: Exempt
- Reports to: Director of Admission
- Works Closely with: Office of Admission, Athletics Department, Student Financial Services, and Faculty across campus.
Job Summary: This position serves as the face of Millikin University and a representative charged with recruiting and enrolling undergraduate students, primarily from the Chicago Public School system. The position requires extensive overnight travel, flexible scheduling of hours including evenings and weekends and the ability to work independently to achieve institutional and divisional goals and objectives. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities: (Recruitment)
1. Set and achieve individual territory enrollment goals.
2. Represent Millikin University at high schools, college day/night programs and community events.
3. Meet with prospective students and families during campus visits.
4. Develop and maintain relationships with hundreds of new students each academic year, requiring consistent communication (phone calls, email, social media, etc).
5. Help students and families through the enrollment process (application, admission, financial aid and registration).
6. Develop and maintain relationships with high school guidance counselors, athletic coaches and alumni within one’s territory.
7. Cover fairs in other territories when a scheduling conflict arises.
Primary Responsibilities: (Administration)
1. Responsible for all data entry using SCT Banner and Target X.
2. Routinely and accurately communicate progress to goals.
3. Document necessary information from campus and travel visits.
1. Analyze territory trends to make number predictions and recommendations for strategy modification.
2. Serve as a campus tour guide when students are not available.
3. Attend regularly scheduled campus staff meetings.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Admission Counselor)
- Minimum of three-years admission, recruitment, student counseling or related professional experience (Sr. Admission Counselor)
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated familiarity with and ability to use web-based technologies and communication media
- Ability to work with various constituencies
- Successful candidate will demonstrate a positive attitude and independent work ethic.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Occasionally sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally standing or walking
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
- Alternative or flexible work schedules
- Extensive travel and/or periodic overnight travel