Division of College of Arts and Sciences
Position Title: Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Arts & Sciences
Department: College of Arts and Sciences
FLSA Category: Non-Exempt
- Reports to: Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Works Closely with: faculty, students, A&S administrative assistants, and administrative assistants to the deans
- Directly Supervises: student workers
Job Summary: The Administrative Assistant manages the day-to-day operational affairs of the College of Arts and Sciences office and department.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
1. Routine office duties: Maintain the day-to-day operations of the Dean’s office, including acting as receptionist and answering the telephone; performing routine secretarial duties, including the preparation and distribution of correspondence, memos, forms, mail and filing; responsible for payment of the Arts and Sciences bills; and responsible for collecting syllabi for all courses offered each semester and maintaining a file for future reference.
2. Dean support: Arrange the Dean’s daily schedule; make travel arrangements for the Dean; assist the Dean in overseeing the current budget and in preparing the request for the upcoming fiscal year’s budget; assist the Dean annually in reporting annual increases and assist with determining the pool for merit increases for Arts and Sciences; prepare the Dean’s script and graduate lists, as well as, determining name pronunciation for May and December Commencements; solicit information from A&S faculty and draft the Dean’s report for submission to the VPAA for the quarterly President’s Report to the Board of Trustees.
3. College organization and support: Schedule all Chair meetings and Arts & Sciences faculty meetings, and type agenda, arrange location, and send meeting announcements; collect course schedules for the upcoming semester from each of the 11 A&S departments for submission to the Registrar’s office; coordinate the selection of the Arts & Sciences nominees and recipients for Honors Convocation, collect and distribute prizes, and prepare the Dean’s script; coordinate the annual revision of the Arts & Sciences portion of the university bulletin; work with departmental secretaries to insure smooth operations during major events in addition to the daily procedures; prepare letters of congratulation to those students who have achieved a GPA that allows them a place on the Dean’s List each semester. Assist the Dean with Summer and Immersion Program course planning, contracts and budget review.
4. Faculty support: Organize and distribute course evaluation plans and reports each semester. Organize course evaluation data, faculty self evaluations, department chair faculty evaluations for the dean to write annual full-time faculty evaluations; upon direction from the Dean, prepare and submit adjunct and overload stipend contract requests each semester to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
5. Student and advising support: Assist students who want to change majors and arrange new advisors for them and enter all data pertaining to these changes into Banner prior to submission of completed form to Registrar’s office; organize Arts & Sciences advising needs for the summer Registration for new students; assign all new and transfer students in a permanent advisor prior to each semester and enter information into Banner; arrange advising appointments for Arts and Sciences transfer students at the beginning of each semester; and assist Admissions to coordinator advising for newly admitted students who have special circumstances.
6. Internal and External Constituents: Assist new students and/or parents regarding their arrival at Millikin including questions pertaining to getting a schedule and an advisor, etc.; assist members of the faculty, administration, other administrative assistants and the student body requesting appointments with the dean; assist with marketing and web site updates for the college; assist community members with general questions, etc.
7. Supervisory Responsibility: Supervise any student worker when needed.
1. Assist the Coordinator of Commencement (Executive Assistant II to VPAA) in making arrangements for May and December Commencements) and prepare the graduate seating chart for each event.
2. Substitute for the VPAA’s Executive Assistant in her absence.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- High School Diploma; Associate Degree preferred.
- Five or more years of previous office experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, GroupWise, Banner
- Competent oral and written communication skills, including grammar and spelling
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as with others
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas.