Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Center for International Education
FLSA Category: Non-Exempt
- Reports to: Director of the Center for International Education (CIE)
- Works Closely with: International and Study Abroad Students, University Faculty and Staff
- Directly Supervises: Student employees for Center for International Education
Working in a fast-paced office, this position provides administrative, clerical, and receptionist support to the Director of the Center of International Education
- Maintain an organized, efficient and accessible office for students and other CIE clients and visitors.
- Serve as the main receptionist for the Center; answering phone calls, taking messages, sending/receiving mail.
- Manage appointment calendar for the Director
- Planning and scheduling CIE events through room reservations, catering, etc.
- Ordering office supplies and maintaining inventory
- Maintaining/updating CIE webpage and social media platforms regularly
- Under the direction of the Director of the CIE, assist faculty, staff and students interested in travelling abroad:
- Prepare and maintain all approved domestic and international immersion contracts and paperwork for faculty and students
- Create and send letters related to travel scholarships, exchange student transcripts, and others as needed
- Under the direction of the Director of the CIE, assist F-1 and J-1 international students with orientation and arrival paperwork
- Be eligible to become certified as a Designated School Official in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
- Be eligible to become a public notary
- Support international students and study abroad students in consultation with the Director of the CIE and other important campus constituents
- Provide administrative assistance in the implementation of departmental programs and services, to include but not limited to: international orientations, study abroad fairs, student organization programming, tax workshops, and pre-departure orientations.
- Maintain records of expenditures and monitor budget activities for the CIE
- Select, train, schedule, and evaluate student employees for the CIE
- Monitor/track all student wages, ensuring that student time sheets are submitted to the Business Office as due.
1. Other duties as assigned by the Director of the CIE
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- High school diploma
- Additional cultural training/certification or related international experience is preferred.
- Three to five years’ office experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, social media platforms, and student information systems
- Close attention to detail and accuracy is required
- Ability to quickly learn proficiency in new technology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Office management skills such as calendar and task management
- Ability to manage/maintain a budget.
- Demonstrated understanding and strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work in partnership with staff, faculty, administrators, and student leaders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment, meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and reprioritize projects as needed.
- Use of 10-Key
- High WPM keyboard dexterity is expected.
- Intermittently sitting/standing/walking through the workday; occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas such as an office; library or computer room
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment where value is placed on working collegially and in a consultative manner with others
- Position may periodically require weekend or evening hours; confidentiality expected.