Division of Academic Affairs – Office of University Registrar
Position Title: Academic Records Specialist
Department: Registrar’s Office
FLSA Category: Non-exempt
- Reports to: The Academic Records Specialist reports directly to the Assistant Registrar
- Works Closely with: University Registrar, Academic Records Specialist, Faculty, Students, Student Workers
- Directly Supervises: N/A
Job Summary: This position provides administrative functions and provide student service by maintaining academic records in hard copy or in the online student information system maintained by the Office of the University Registrar. Ensure accuracy of records and adherence to applicable regulation, policies, and procedures. Performs functions within the Office of the Office of the University Registrar that impact enrollment, registration, graduation, records integrity, academic scheduling, and reporting. Verify accuracy and completeness of paperwork required to create or modify a record, validate authenticity of supporting documents, and clarify discrepancies; ensure quality control while producing, packaging, and mailing documents such as transcripts, letters, and diplomas. Cross-train within the Office of the University Registrar to process and maintain academic records in the Student Information System.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
- Provide customer service via telephone, email, and in-person inquiries; investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve issues presented by a variety of constituents, including students, university staff, other institutions, and the public.
- Evaluate eligibility based on university policies, procedures, and federal requirements, and ensure the accuracy and integrity of academic records, including but not limited to:
- Evaluate and recommend assignment of academic credit from established articulation agreements.
- Maintain curricular resources including but not limited to creation and updates of transfer information for prospective students in collaboration with other in the Office of the Registrar.
- Coordinate collection and data entry of course offerings in collaboration with individuals in the Office of the Registrar, academic deans, and department chairs.
- Navigate room assignment software and assign rooms for the courses offered each term, while ensuring academic space utilization and faculty classroom assignments are consistent with faculty requests for space and contain efficient resources for course delivery.
- Determine academic eligibility of student athletes for NCAA/CCIW competition and complete registration for academic credit within university policy.
- Compose routine correspondence to students, agencies, institutions, and other stakeholders concerning requests for information or processing forms; mail standard response letters for routine requests
- Communicate course section additions/deletions/changes, requests for cohorting of classes, changes to prerequisites, and report inconsistent attempts to change course information requiring council approval or inconsistencies with established procedures to University Registrar and Assistant Registrar.
- Answer initial questions for faculty and student regarding processes and procedures involving registration, student records and access to student records, and degree evaluation and identify requirements outlined in the bulletin; Assist students and faculty with the navigation of online systems; Provide up to date information regarding class offerings, classroom availability, and scheduling changes as needed to support student/faculty.
- Perform accurate data entry of articulated transcripts by the Assistant or University Registrar.
- Maintain curricular resources including but not limited to the creation and updates of transfer information for prospective students in collaboration with others in the Office of the Registrar.
- Understand and provide guidance for Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA) to university students and employees.
- Additional duties assigned by Assistant and University Registrar.
- Enter, edit, and update semester schedule on the Student Information System (Banner).
- Process transcript requests daily and answer question regarding transcript request processing.
- Maintain files on current and inactive students.
- Maintain and update documents on Office of Registrar Website as needed.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- High School Degree
- Three years’ previous office experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with SCT Banner or other Administrative Software important
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skill
- Must be able to multi-task in a busy environment – flexibility
- Must be a self-starter
- Must be trustworthy (this position deals with confidential information)
- Must be willing to learn and willing to ask questions
- Must be accurate
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs.
- Occasionally standing, walking, bending and stooping
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas.