Updated: January 10, 2022 - 11:15 a.m. CST

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Millikin's Response to COVID-19

At this time Millikin University’s campus will remain open to faculty, staff and students. This includes our residence halls, academic buildings and offices. University buildings and operations are not open to the public. Questions about Millikin's response to COVID-19 should be sent to stdev@millikin.edu. Please check back often as we continue to answer more frequently asked questions related to our COVID-19 response.

Campus Safety

  • Are there any cases of COVID-19 in the surrounding community?
  • What are the current mitigations for Macon County?
  • Has Millikin reported any on-campus cases of COVID-19?
  • What happens when there is a confirmed case on campus?
    • The University has a robust quarantine, testing and related isolation plan. When a case is confirmed on campus, that individual will be sent home or placed in a University isolation room, away from the general community, where they will remain for the CDC recommended isolation period and until symptom free. We will follow all local health department COVID-19 quarantine requirements for direct contacts of positive cases. More information on the case isolation and contact quarantine plan can be viewed here.
  • What steps can individuals take to help prevent the spread of COVID-19?
    • Millikin University asks that all members of the campus community follow the CDC guidelines in regard to prevention:
      • Get a COVID vaccine and a booster. The only certain way to know that you are protected from the virus and any of the known variants is to be fully vaccinated.
      • Practice social and physical distancing. 
      • Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are unavailable, hand sanitizers with an alcohol concentration of at least 60 percent can be used.
      • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
      • Stay home when you are sick, especially if you have a fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit; you should be symptom free before returning to work or school.
      • Cover coughs and sneezes by using a tissue or elbow.
      • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
      • Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
  • What precautions are being taken by the University to protect students, faculty and staff from COVID-19?
    • Primarily this includes imposing social and physical distancing where appropriate, required use of face coverings for all individuals while indoors and generally elevating preventive hygiene practices across the campus. An Employee Workplace Safety Plan was also released which can be viewed here, as well as a Campus Safety Plan for Students, which can be viewed here.
      • Residential staff is trained to properly refer students who are ill and to promote preventative hygiene practices.
      • The Millikin University Facilities Services Department is increasing cleaning and housekeeping measures with a focus on restrooms and common areas. 
    • Face covering protocols: 
      • Face masks/coverings must be worn by all individuals in while indoors. Face coverings which are deemed to be racist, sexist, indecent, illegal, inciting or in any way oppressive in nature will not be permitted.
      • Employees are not required to wear face coverings when alone in private offices.
      • Students are not required to wear face coverings when alone in private rooms.
      • Masks should fit snugly, but comfortably, over the nose and mouth.
      • Individuals who forget or misplace their mask may obtain replacement masks in designated locations. Please see the Campus Safety Plan for Students and the Workplace Safety Plan for Employees for a list of these locations.
      • Face masks should be properly laundered before reuse.
      • Students are encouraged to bring 5-7 face coverings with them to campus.
  • What should I do if I feel sick and believe I may have been exposed to COVID-19?
    • According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), if you feel you may have been exposed to COVID-19 OR you are experiencing symptoms OR if you have had close contact with someone showing symptoms who has recently traveled from an area affected by COVID-19, please follow the guidance below. Do not go in person to any medical provider without first speaking to medical staff over the phone for advice. 
      • Students should complete the myMillikin Symptom Tracker. They will be contacted by a Campus Life team member who will give them instructions on next steps. On-call staff is available after hours by contacting Millikin Public Safety at 217.464.8888.
      • Faculty and staff should contact their primary care providers. Individuals without a primary care physician can view appropriate medical providers to contact for care or COVID-19 screening in the Workplace Safety Plan for Employees.
      • The Illinois Department of Public Health has also established at COVID-19 Hotline at 1.800.889.3931.
      • For information on COVID-19 screening through SHIELD Illinois, click here.
  • What are the symptoms of COVID-19? How should I monitor for symptoms?
    • Please visit this page to learn more about the symptoms that have been identified at this point in time and for information about self-monitoring practices that all members of the Millikin University community are expected to undertake.
  • What testing criteria has Millikin University implemented for COVID-19?
  • What should I do if I am diagnosed with COVID-19?
    • Self-isolate:
      • Your provider will alert the Macon County Health Department and share CDC recommendations for self-isolation with you. Students should inform the Office of Campus Life of their diagnosis. Employees should inform their direct supervisor and Human Resources.
      • Residential students will be isolated in Huss House. Family or guardian pick up of residential students for home isolation will then be expected within 24 hours of notification.
      • Non-residential students will be instructed to isolate at home.
      • Self-isolation will continue for 5 days from the onset of symptoms or confirmation of COVID-19. Test on Day 5, if negative, individuals whose symptoms have resolved and are fever free without the assistance of medication may return to campus. If positive, isolate an additional 5 days. 
  • What should I do if I have been in direct contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19?
    • Direct Contact with a Positive Case:
      • Full Vaccinated Individuals (vaccinated within 6 months or boosted):
        • May attend class, work, or sports.
        • Must wear a mask 100% of the time and may only utilize "to-go" dining for 5 days.
        • Test required on day 5.
          • If negative, may return to routine mask-wearing and dining.
          • If positive, isolate for 5 days. If symptom-free, released on day 10.
        • If any symptoms arise after day 5, resume masking 100% and test on day 10.
      • Unvaccinated Individuals (unvaccinated or vaccinated more than 6 months ago and not boosted):
        • Must quarantine and may not attend class, work, or sports in person for 5 days.
        • Must wear a mask 100% of the time and may not utilize "to-go" dining.
        • Test required on day 5.
          • If negative, may return to class, work, sports, but must continue with 100% mask wearing and only "to-go" dining until day 10.
          • If positive, isolate for 5 additional days. If symptom-free, released on day 10.
        • If any symptoms arise after day 5, test on day 10.
  • Are student health services still being provided on campus?
    • Yes, our Millikin Health Clinic is providing care to students and employees. We are asking that you call ahead to 217.424.6360, as we will begin operating on an appointment-only basis. No walk-ins will be accepted.
  • Are there any protocols in place for students residing on campus?
    • Yes. For full details, visit the Current Students page on the Millikin COVID-19 site, and click on the Housing tab.
  • Where do students submit their vaccination records?
    • Vaccinated students should upload their vaccination records using the "Upload Vaccinations" icon on myMillikin. Go to my.millikin.edu, log in with your username and password and then type "Upload Immunizations" into the search bar. Next, click the corresponding icon and follow the instructions that will be provided.
    • Students are now asked to upload proof of booster vaccinations by uploading to myMillikin a screenshot/digital copy of their vaccination cards indicating the booster date (the same way vaccination records were previously uploaded). Please choose the "Booster Shot 1 For COVID-19 (students)" option when uploading the booster document.

Back to Top

SHIELD Illinois Saliva-Based Testing

  • Where do I go to test?
    • The Collection Site is located on the ground floor of Dolson Hall, west of the campus bookstore. Entrance is off of Oakland Avenue. Limited parking is available.
  • What are the hours of operation for the Collection Site?
    • The regular hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. but hours will be adjusted over the winter break.
      • January 10-14: 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
      • January 17 Resume Normal Hours: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    • We do provide special appointment times for student teachers and those involved in off-campus employment. These appointments are from 7:30 a.m.- 8 a.m. You may reach out to stdev@millikin.edu should you need an early morning appointment time. As a reminder, if you pre-schedule your test time on your MySHIELD, you will experience fewer delays and will be able to complete your test quickly. Most individuals can be in and out of the site in less than 15 minutes.
  • Who should test?
    • All students and employees are required to test upon arrival for spring 2022 semester. Unvaccinated students and employees are required to test for COVID-19 once a week. Rapid tests are available at no cost.
    • Additional criteria for all campus community members related to travel can be viewed at millikin.edu/testing-criteria.
  • How do I schedule my test?
  • What should I expect when I go to my testing appointment?
    • Please bring a photo ID and your cellular device with appointment QR code. Individuals should not eat, drink (including water), chew gum, smoke, or use tobacco products within 60 minutes of providing a saliva sample. Doing any of these things within 60 minutes of providing a sample could produce an inconclusive result and require the individual to re-test. Test results will be posted in the patient portal after the lab results are completed. You will be asked to provide a clear saliva sample, that you will collect in private.
  • When will I get my results?
    • ​Results are sent to your MySHIELD account, and a notification email is sent to you. Results are posting within 6-18 hours of tests currently. Monday testers, however, will not receive their results until Tuesday afternoon since the hospital lab that analyzes the samples is closed on Mondays. Once you receive your results, please follow the submission process as detailed by your director and/or the Macon County Health Department.
  • What if I test positive?
    • ​If you receive a positive result, you should immediately isolate yourself for 5 days. You will be contacted by a member of the Macon County Health Department who will instruct you on the steps you need to take during your isolation and will ask you about your recent contacts and activity. In the interest of public health and the safety of our campus community, we ask that you cooperate with their contact tracing team. Test again on day 5 if negative and symptoms have resolved you are released from isolation. If positive, isolate an additional 5 days.
  • What if I have had direct contact with a positive covid-19 case, but I have been traced to a positive case as a direct contact?

          Direct Contact with a Positive Case:

  •  Fully Vaccinated Individuals (vaccinated within 6 months or boosted):
    • May attend class, work, or sports.
    • Must wear a mask 100% of the time and may only utilize “to-go” dining for 5 days.
    • Test required on day 5.
      • If negative, may return to routine mask-wearing and dining.
      • If positive, isolate for 5 days. If symptom-free, released on day 10.
    • If any symptoms arise after day 5, resume masking 100% and test on day 10.
  • Unvaccinated Individuals (unvaccinated or vaccinated more than 6 months ago and not boosted):
    • Must quarantine and may not attend class, work, or sports in person for 5 days.
    • Must wear a mask 100% of the time and may only utilize “to-go” dining.
    • Test required on day 5.
      • If negative, may return to class, work, sports, but must continue with 100% mask wearing and only “to-go” dining.
      • If positive, isolate for 5 additional days. If symptom-free, released on day 10
    • If any symptoms arise after day 5, test on day 10.
  • What if I receive an invalid or inconclusive result?
    • Most invalid or inconclusive results are the outcome of poor quality saliva samples. Perhaps you were dehydrated when you submitted your sample and it was inadequate, or you forgot to refrain from eating and drinking for one hour prior to collection and your sample was contaminated. In these case, please schedule a subsequent test at your earliest convenience. Make sure to hydrate well before your saliva collection time and make sure your mouth is free of debris. If you are nervous about providing a sample, you may ask the SHIELD site staff to provide you with a closed and private space or allow you to collect outside.​
  • What if I have already recovered from the virus?
    • If you have tested positive for the virus in the last 14 days, we will ask you to refrain from surveillance testing until you have exceeded the 14 day immunity window. You should provide evidence of you positive test to your director. After 14 days, you will be invited to engage in testing. Should your first result be positive, we will ask you to continue abstaining from surveillance testing for an additional 2 weeks, and will treat that first post-14 day positive as a false positive. We expect you to continue observing all health and safety guidelines during your immunity window. In some cases, individuals who have recovered from the virus will still present with positive test results up to 150 days post-recovery. We will work with recovered individuals on a case by case basis to avoid unnecessary quarantines, but maintain our testing program as pragmatic.​
  • What happens once I receive the COVID-19 vaccination?
    • Receiving the COVID-19 vaccination does not cause individuals to test positive for the virus, and even immunized individuals may carry the virus and spread it to others. It is for these reasons that we will continue testing individuals, as scheduled, even after they receive their immunizations. We will follow new CDC guidance that emerges regarding immunized individuals and testing.
  • What if I am involved in multiple surveillance testing programs?
    • We ask that you follow the multiple schedules as closely as possible. Should you be required to test for multiple programs on the same date, you only need to test once- you do not need to duplicate testing on a single day. However, you may be subject to testing on consecutive days due to different schedules. You should discuss concerns with your program director and ask for scheduling accommodations should your testing schedule become cumbersome.​
  • ​What if I have questions about the testing program?
    • ​You may direct questions about your testing schedule to your program director. If you have questions about the overall testing process, you may direct them to stdev@millikin.edu. Please direct all technical questions about your MySHIELD account to the Talon Help Desk at 217.265.6059.

Back to Top

Housing and Dining

  • Is the University restricting visitors to campus residences?
    • Outside guests will be permitted in the residential units and are expected to self-monitor for symptoms. Visitor guidelines can be found here.
  • What practices are being implemented for student housing?
    • Please view the Housing tab on our section of the COVID-19 site dedicated to information for current students.
  • What are the dining accommodations?
    • All dining on campus will be "to-go" only until January 29th. Please view the Dining Services tab on our section of the COVID-19 site dedicated to information for Campus Operations.

Back to Top


  • If I travel within the country by plane, train or other mass transit, or travel internationally,  do I need to self-quarantine and test?
    • If you are unvaccinated, yes. Unvaccinated individuals must self-quarantine for 3 days following their trip before being tested. Stay home pending your results.
  • Do students need to report when they are traveling off campus?
    • Yes, students living on campus must submit the Travel Reporting Form when they plan to travel off campus.

Back to Top

Events, Meetings and Visitors

  • Are student organizations allowed to have in-person events on campus?
    • Before January 29th, large events are to be held virtually. After January 29th, indoor event participant limit is 50 persons, OR 50% of the occupancy limit of the facility, whichever is lower. Food is approved at events after January 29th, as long as certain guidelines are met. Individuals interesting in scheduling an indoor event should email cscheduler@millikin.edu Student organizations should continue to request event approval through the current online form. We will also be encouraging outdoor events, whenever possible. Outdoor events provide a safer and less restrictive environment. A higher participant limit will be available for outdoor events, and in certain circumstances, we will permit unmasked outdoor gatherings. Outdoor events must be formally requested and approved as well, following all established guidelines.
  • Will the University continue Campus Visit Days and/or campus tours for prospective students?
    • The Office of Admission is currently offering in-person visits as well as online information sessions. Learn more at millikin.edu/visit.
  • What are your campus visitor guidelines?

Back to Top

Delivery of Coursework and Support Services 

  • How are courses being delivered?
    • The first week of classes for the Spring 2022 semester will be held online. Beginning with the second week, Millikin will return to normal modes of instruction. Millikin University classes are delivered in a variety of formats. The mode of instruction is either in-person, online-only or hybrid classes. 
  • Are online courses be presented “live,” or can students view lectures, discussions, etc., at a different time?
    • Online courses and hybrid courses look different for every student and for every discipline. We ask that students re-familiarize themselves with Moodle and check their Millikin email often. Tutoring and supplemental instruction will be offered online for any student needing extra academic assistance and support.
  • What if I do not have access to a computer, Wi-Fi, or have the technological support or equipment at home to participate in alternative modes of learning?
    • Students without technological support or equipment may wish to remain in campus housing so they have access to University resources. Students may contact the CAPP Office at 217.362.6424 for assistance connecting to these resources.
  • Whom should I contact if I have difficulty with online course technology?
    • Students having online course tech difficulties should contact the IT Helpdesk at 217.362.6488 or infotech@millikin.edu
  • I receive disability services at the University. Whom should I contact for assistance?
    • Students may continue working with the Center for Academic and Professional Performance (CAPP). Students may call the CAPP at 217.362.6424.
  • What library resources are available for students? 
    • All Staley Library services have transitioned online, however limited staff is available during operating hours. Please visit the Staley Library website for your library and research needs. To view an online guide detailing the changes that have taken place at the library, visit https://millikin.libguides.com/home-access.
  • Whom should I contact with specific questions regarding course delivery?
    • All learning experiences (i.e., internships, practicums, clinical, student teaching, performance-related courses) will be managed by the overseeing faculty member. Please reach out to the faculty advisor or chair for specific questions.
  • How will class disruptions due to COVID-19 be handled, in the case of a student recovering or placed under quarantine/isolation?
    • We understand that students will need flexibility and care during this time. As such, students will not be penalized for missing a face-to-face class due to symptomatic illness or following a quarantine order, but they are still required to complete all assigned work. Students may be assigned additional work to engage with course material missed during absence from class.

Back to Top

Student Financial Services/Resource Assistance

  • What if my parent’s employment has been affected by COVID-19 and I'm having trouble making payments? 
    • Please contact the Student Financial Services Office to discuss financial aid and/or payment options.
  • Who do I contact for financial assistance or if I have questions regarding my student account?
  • What options exist for students needing additional assistance with finances or other resources?
    • We realize that COVID-19 not only disrupts the physical and emotional health and safety of our students, but also the financial security of many of our students and families. We have several resources available to assist with the needs associated with financial disruption.
      • Information regarding Emergency Student Support Grants and Hardship Loans may be found at millikin.edu/millikinstudentemergencysupportfunds
      • Big Blue Food Pantry has options for students experiencing food insecurity. Students may contact campuslife@millikin.edu for assistance.
      • The CAPP is available to assist students with securing technology and educational supply assistance, such as loaner computers and internet access support. Students may contact capp@millikin.edu for more information.

Back to Top