Alpha Chi Omega
Type: Social Sorority
Council Affiliation: Panhellenic Council
Nickname: Alpha Chi, AChiO
Motto: Together Let Us Seek the Heights
Flower: Red Carnation
Colors: Scarlet Red & Olive Green
Mascot/Symbol: Golden Lyre
Alpha Chi Omega was founded on October 15, 1885, at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. At a time when women were just beginning to occupy seats in college classrooms, seven female students were encouraged by Professor James Hamilton Howe, dean of DePauw’s School of Music, to form a women’s society within the school.
Inspired, our Founders formed the sixth women’s fraternity in the country—the first to be in a music school. Sure they would be the last, the founders chose Alpha and Omega—the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet—to form their name, with “Kai” (meaning “and”) in the middle, later changed to the Greek letter Chi.
Dedicated to advancing “the intellectual, social and moral culture” of its members, our founders’ vision has grown to include our women’s Fraternity, the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation and the National Housing Corporation. Together, they serve more than 200,000 members in more than 130 collegiate chapters and 200 alumnae chapters nationwide.
Alpha Chi Omega colonized on Millikin's campus in the year 1913 shortly after Pi Beta Phi and Delta Delta Delta.