Millikin University’s fraternity and sorority community has enjoyed a strong history and connection to the institution.
Since 1904, Millikin has hosted numerous national and local fraternities and sororities. The information provided reflects the history of our current chapters at Millikin University.
In 1909, Tau Kappa Epsilon was the first national fraternity founded on the campus followed by Sigma Alpha Epsilon in 1911.
In 1912, Delta Delta Delta and Pi Beta Phi opened their doors, followed by Alpha Chi Omega in 1913.
During the academic year of 1910-1911 a Panhellenic Association was formed to govern the local and national women’s organizations at Millikin University. The following year in 1912, a Fraternity Congress, currently known as the Interfraternity Council, was established as the governing organization for the fraternities on campus. Grover Yoder, a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, was the first president of the Congress. In 1921, Delta Sigma Phi established a colony at Millikin.
The 1970s provided a great deal of growth for the fraternity and sorority community. In 1973 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. joined our community with Alpha Tau Omega men’s fraternity to colonize in 1975.
April 14, 1986 Order of Omega, the Greek honor society, was established at Millikin. Order of Omega continues to thrive today selecting the top three percent of fraternity/sorority members.
Recently, the fraternity and sorority community has grown to include 3 multicultural fraternities and sororities. In 2006, Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. received permission to begin a colony group on the campus and became an active chapter in Spring 2010. In Fall 2009 the Multicultural Greek Council was formed to serve as the governing body of our multicultural Greek chapters. In Spring 2011 we welcomed Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. in Spring 2012