Greater Decatur Youth Band
Millikin University and the Decatur Park District present:
Celebrating 25 years of success in central Illinois!
Highlights from the 2018 GDYB season, including concerts at Millikin University, with the Decatur Municipal Band, and marching in the Decatur Celebration Parade.
The mission of the Greater Decatur Youth Band is to give young musicians a chance to have fun and rewarding musical experiences over the summer months and to build on the musical opportunities they have during the school year. Students have an opportunity to work with other talent young students from all over the Decatur, to learn from experienced music educators, and to perform in various venues around town. This year program will include collaborations with the Decatur Municipal Band and Summer Strings programs as well as performing at the Decatur Celebration Parade.
This year the Greater Decatur Youth Band expands to include Jump Start, a program from students who are just getting their start playing a band instrument. It will include individualized instruction from Millikin teachers using musical activities designed to help students understand their instrument and make great music right away. Students will build a strong foundation on their instrument that will help them as they continue to develop their musicianship in the future.
This GDYB program is directed by Dr. Neal Smith, Coordinator of Instrumental Music Education at Millikin University and Director of the Decatur Youth Symphony Orchestra who bring over thirty years of experience working with young musicians. Assisting Dr. Smith is Eric Wattleworth, director of bands and choirs at Warrensburg High School who returns this summer as the assistant director of the program. Also teaching this summer as director of the Jump Start program is Alexandra Rodriguez, Director of the Millikin Preparatory Department and Music Director at St. Teresa High School.
Rehearsals every Monday and Wednesday starting June 10th
- 9:00 – 9:45 Jump Start (1 year of playing experience of less)
- 10:00 – 11:00 Crescendo (2-3 years playing experience)
- 11:15 – 12:30 Forte (more than three years playing experience)
- $72 for per student resident.
- $80 per student non-resident.
- Discount for second child in family.
Performance Schedule Summer 2019
- Wednesday, July 10th at 6:30pm - “Celebration of Summer”
James Millikin Homestead
- Wednesday, July 17th at 6:30pm (with Decatur Municipal Band)
Miller Quad, Millikin University
- Wednesday, July 24th at 6:30 (with Summer Strings)
Fairview Park Pavilion
- Saturday, August 3rd
Decatur Celebration Parade
- Download the Greater Decatur Youth Band 2019 Flyer
- Register on Decatur Park District web-site (registration page) or use 2019 Registraton Form
- Mail form and payment to the Decatur Park District Office, 620 East Riverside Ave. Decatur, IL 62521 or the DISC 1295 West Wood St., Decatur, IL 62522.
- For additional information, contact Neal Smith, Coordinator of Instrumental Music Education, Millikin University at email@example.com or 217.424.6358.
- Youth Scholarship Program
2019 Greater Decatur Youth Band Sponsors