Tuition Exchange Programs

Millikin University is a member school in two tuition exchange programs. Tuition Exchange, Inc. (TE) and The Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) offer national scholarship exchange programs for the dependents of employees of member schools. As with scholarships, tuition exchange awards are granted based on each individual's schools selection criteria and are quite competitive.


Eligibility for this benefit begins after the completion of one year of continuous, full-time employment at Millikin University. If the service requirement occurs after the registration period, participation will commence with the first day of the subsequent term.

Those eligible for consideration to participate in the exchange programs are the dependent children of full-time employees (provided the applicants meet admission requirements and continue to make satisfactory academic progress).

Tuition exchange participation is subject to the regulations of each of the two different programs and Millikin's status in them.

A student must meet the usual admission standards of the admitting institution and there are limitations on the number of students accepted at a particular institution under the exchange programs. It is the student's responsibility to obtain program information (requirements and deadlines) and admission application forms directly from the colleges and universities.

Participation in the tuition exchange program is limited to undergraduate programs and to students seeking their first undergraduate degree.


Employee: Regular full-time employee, which is defined as full-time faculty, administrator, or support staff who works a minimum of 32 hours per week, including full-time employees on paid or unpaid leave of absence and sabbaticals.

Dependent Children: For purposes of this policy, dependency is defined as: A qualifying child under the age of 24 prior to the beginning of the term for which the benefit will be used.

A qualifying child is defined as:

  • A biological child
  • A legally adopted child of the employee
  • A stepchild
  • A biological child of the employee's qualified domestic partner
  • The employee is the legal guardian of the child, as defined by a State Court, and the child resides with the employee.
  • In instances where the child does not reside with the employee:
    • An employee is considered to support a child when they provide over 50% of the child's living expenses.
    • An employee is responsible for educational expenses by virtue of a divorce decree.

If you have any questions regarding the Educational Assistance Policy or your eligibility as an employee, please contact Human Resources at 217.362.6416.

Value of Exchange Award

If accepted into one of the two exchange programs by a particular school, a dependent child could attend the participating college either tuition-free or paying a percentage tuition charge, depending upon the program and school. Room, board, and fees must be paid in full and are the responsibility of the parent/student in most cases.

Packet Submission Requirements/Checklist

  1. Complete Application for Tuition Exchange Participation.
    • Universities/colleges under consideration should have exchange participation indicated. See TE and CIC-TEP websites for listings of current member schools for each program.
    • Completed application needs to be taken to Human Resources for eligibility
  2. Complete Dependent Child Certification Form.
  3. Complete CIC-TEP 2019 - 2020 Application.
    • In addition to the Application for Tuition Exchange Participation, the CIC-TEP Application needs to be completed and included in your submission packet for each university/college under consideration that is a participating institution in CIC-TEP that was listed on the Application for Tuition Exchange Participation.
  4. Obtain transcript(s) of any college work completed or in progress.
    • This does not have to be an official transcript.
  5. Obtain transcript of all high school work completed or in progress.
    • This does not have to be an official transcript.
    • Should include HS rank/size, ACT or SAT test score(s) and GPA.
  6. Complete summary listing of HS/College/Community Activities/Honors/Work Experience(s).
    • Should include academic years of participation and any leadership roles held.
  7. Turn in the packet of required documents listed above to the Tuition Exchange Liaison, Gorin Hall Room 16.
  8. Apply to schools listed on the Application for Tuition Exchange Participation and submit all required financial aid information.
  9. Communicate with Admission Counselor and Tuition Exchange Liaison at the importing school about intent to participate in Tuition Exchange Program.

Students who have participated in the review in the past may be reconsidered. Any HS or college work completed since the previous review must be added to the students' credentials.

Fall 2019 / Spring 2020 Deadline:

Friday, September 7, 2018

If you have questions about the required information, please contact the Tuition Exchange Liaison at 217.424.6217 or