Programs Designed to Meet Unique Needs
The English Language Center offers three programs to meet your goals. The programs are 16 weeks long, which is the length of a traditional semester at Millikin. We offer two starting dates: Mid-January and Mid-August. You will receive 20-25 hours of class/activities per week with 10-12 students as the average class size.
Intensive English Program
Learn English and enjoy our American campus experience. Use Millikin as a home-base to explore the Midwestern U.S.A.
- Placement test completed upon your arrival.
- No academic qualification or English language test required for admission.
- Simple application with an admission decision made within 72 hours.
- Four program levels available based on existing language skills: beginning to high intermediate.
English Transition Program
Improve your written and spoken English communication skills while taking courses to earn a bachelor’s degree.
- Be conditionally admitted and earn college credits while improving language skills.
- Earn a bachelor’s degree from our selection of more than 50 majors.
- Two program levels available based on existing language skills: intermediate or high intermediate.
Summer English Language and Midwestern American Culture Program
Enjoy this summer program in Decatur, Illinois that is a wonderful blend of English language instruction and Midwestern American cultural immersion. Stay on our beautiful 70-acre campus. Learn from experienced faculty. See the sights of Illinois and improve your English skills along the way. Contact the English Language Center today for more information or to discuss how Millikin might create a summer language program for your students.
- Intensive English Program: $4,760/16 weeks
- Transition Program: $14,919/ Semester (However, 90% of our international students get some type of International Merit Scholarship)
- Summer Language Program: variable cost depending on the length of the program. View the Summer Language Program page for more information.
- International Fees: $480/semester
- Housing and Meal Plans: From $3,100 to $ $5,400/semester
- Programs start each semester (Mid-August and Mid-January)
Custom Curriculum to Meet Your Needs
We use a needs assessment as the starting point for the English Language Center curriculum. A needs assessment is the process of learning about students in order to develop a curriculum that best meets their needs. Our needs assessment has three stages:
- Pre-course needs assessment - Students’ English language proficiencies are assessed through a Skype video interview before they arrive and the iTEP Academic-Plus Exam once they arrive on campus. Students are then placed into one of four levels.
- Initial needs assessment - During the first week of classes, ELC instructors will learn about:
- Students’ backgrounds and interests
- Students’ language learning experiences (including styles and strategies)
- Students’ language learning goals and expectations
- Ongoing needs assessment
- Needs assessments continue throughout each semester and include:
- Student journals in which students reflect on their learning
- Conferencing with teachers
The ELC curriculum is organized into four levels.
- Foundations - Level 1: Foundations is for students with high beginning English proficiencies. Students who successfully complete this level have achieved an elementary level of proficiency.
- Elementary - Level 2: Elementary is for students with elementary English proficiencies. Students who successfully complete this level have achieved an intermediate level of proficiency.
- Intermediate - Level 3: Intermediate is for students with intermediate English proficiencies. Students who successfully complete this level have achieved a high intermediate level of proficiency.
- Transition Program - Level 4: Millikin Bridge is for students with high intermediate English proficiencies. Students who successfully complete this level have achieved a low advanced level of proficiency.