The Nutrition Minor is designed to accompany majors at Millikin University that prepare students for careers in health and human services or health education and health promotion. The nutrition minor provides students with sound knowledge and practical experience in:
- identifying nutrition needs across the lifespan,
- identifying nutrition concerns and challenges in diverse populations, and
- recognizing financial, sociological, and political factors related to nutrition and nutrition programming.
The Nutrition Minor will prepare the student to be more proactive, efficient and effective in promoting individual health, community health, academic performance, and sport performance through education and mobilization of nutrition-related community resources. Food or animal research, laboratory research, and dietetic program preparation are beyond the scope of this minor.
Learning Outcomes for the Nutrition Minor
Experiences in the minor provide a supportive arena for students to learn and subsequently apply health-related, sport-related, individual and community nutrition concepts into practice to build on the student experience, to promote future professional success, and to promote a personal life of meaning and value through the intrinsic rewards of improving the overall health of the campus and Decatur community.
The Nutrition Minor will broaden the students' education in nutrition and the students' practical experience in applying nutrition concepts. Nutrition is a vital component in health, productivity, and performance and reaches across many professional fields relating to overall health, performance, and education. The Nutrition Minor will help students obtain a more extensive knowledge base and practical skill set.
Required courses for Nutrition Minor
This minor requires a total of 22 credit hours of coursework.
- CH121/151 General Chemistry (4)
- BI204 Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (4) or BI206 -- Anatomy and Physiology (4)
- ES328 Health Related Nutrition (3)
- ES329 Community Nutrition (3)
- ES330 Practicum in Health Promotions (3)
- ES440 Sport Nutrition (3)
- ES443 Community Nutrition and Fitness Practicum (3)
Health & Wellness Coaching Minor
The Health and Wellness Coaching minor is a 7 course program that provides students with a foundation in coaching knowledge and skills. Students who aspire to work with people one-on-one to help them reach their health and wellness goals may be particularly interested in this minor. Completion of the minor will prepare students for health and wellness coaching certifications and advanced study.