The Annual Cookie Party
On December 13, 1934 the first Cookie Party, then referred to as the Christmas Tea, was held in the browsing room of Gorin Library. The event was hosted by the Millikin Dames, an organization for women on Millikin's staff and wives of faculty members and trustees.
The Christmas Tea, an annual holiday event in honor of Millikin students, was held in the Gorin Library until 1960. The original teas were rather formal events with the use of silver tea services and members of the Millikin Dames as servers.
In 1960 the location of the tea was moved to the University Center. In 1964 the Christmas Tea was renamed the Cookie Party. The Cookie Party has been held in the Richards Treat University Center since its opening.
Student music ensembles have long provided the musical entertainment for the Cookie Parties. Music at the Cookie Party was first officially noted in the cookie party records of 1947, with Professor Harold C. Hess providing a string quartet with piano accompaniment of music "appropriate to the Christmas atmosphere." Music has been a continuous part of the Cookie Parties from that year to the present.