Who should submit an art portfolio?
All students who have already been admitted to the University and wish to major in art must submit a portfolio for review.
What must be included in my portfolio?
Applicants must submit a portfolio of artwork that includes the following materials:
- Drawings, which indicate an applicant’s aptitude in the following areas: observation (work done from still life, photos, etc.), and creativity (work done from imagination, invention).
- Design projects, which indicate aptitude, involving an applicant’s skills in use of the visual elements: shape, line, texture, value, form.
- A 250-word essay indicating an applicant’s motivation for wishing to study art at Millikin.
- High school (incoming freshmen) and college (transfer students) transcripts.
- Applicants also are welcome to include these optional materials, if appropriate: examples of Painting; examples of Photography; examples of Graphic Design; examples of 3D work (may be submitted in slide form instead of actual work).
How should my portfolio be formatted and submitted?
Portfolio materials can be in one of the following formats:
- Original student artwork presented in person at Millikin with an art professor.
- High resolution photographs (either printed or electronic) of student work. (Electronic submissions must be in PDF or jpg format and sent via CD or email to email@example.com)
- Slides of student work sent via U.S. mail. Mailing actual drawings/designs is not recommended. Portfolios can be mailed to:
1184 W. Main St.
Decatur, IL 62522-2084
When do I submit a portfolio?
It is preferred that students be admitted to the University when they submit a portfolio and that the portfolio is submitted before a campus visit. However, the Art Department will look at the work of anyone who is interested in studying art at Millikin.
What takes place in a portfolio review?
One or two faculty review the students’ work to determine the skill level of the student, what they can contribute to the department, their personal goals for studying art, and if they deserve an art talent scholarship based on the work that they have submitted.
When are portfolios reviewed?
Portfolio review is by appointment only.
The scheduled dates for portfolio reviews for the 2017-18 school year are listed below.
- Saturday, September 16, 2017
- Monday, October 9, 2017
- Friday, November 10, 2017
- Monday, January 15, 2018
- Saturday, February 3, 2018
- Monday, February 19, 2018
- Saturday, March 3, 2018
- Saturday, April 7, 2018
If one of these dates won't work, other dates are available by appointment.
How do I schedule a portfolio review?
- Call the Art Department at 217.424.6227
- Email the Art Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stop by during one of the designated visit days when we are also available to do reviews.
Do I need to be present for my portfolio review?
It is not required that students be present for reviews. Students who live outside a 200-mile radius of Millikin may submit a portfolio via mail in lieu of a live portfolio review. However, a live portfolio review is preferred, as faculty enjoy meeting and learning more about students when making a final decision on whether or not to accept them into the program.
Will my portfolio be returned to me after it is reviewed?
Portfolio material will be returned if an envelope when return postage is included in the package.