Who should submit an art portfolio?
All students who have already been admitted to the University and wish to be eligible for a College of Fine Arts Scholarship you must submit a portfolio for review.
What must be included in my portfolio?
Applicants must submit a portfolio of artwork that includes the following materials:
- Drawings, sketches which indicate an applicant’s aptitude in the following areas: observation (work done from still life, photos, etc.), and creativity (work done from imagination, invention).
- Design projects, which indicate aptitude, involving an applicant’s skills in use of the visual elements: shape, line, texture, value, form.
- A one-page essay indicating an applicant’s motivation for wishing to study art at Millikin.
- High school (incoming freshmen) and college (transfer students) transcripts.
- Applicants also are welcome to include these optional materials, if appropriate: examples of Painting; examples of Photography; examples of Graphic Design; examples of 3D work (may be submitted electronically instead of actual work).
How should my portfolio be formatted and submitted?
Portfolio materials can be in one of the following formats:
- Original student artwork presented in person at Millikin with an art professor.
- High-resolution photographs (either printed or electronic) of student work. (Electronic submissions must be in PDF or jpg format)
- Slides of student work sent via Behance or email at email@example.com
- * You can quickly create a free digital portfolio on Behance.net
- * Instructions for hosting files on Behance can be found here.
- * Behance allows for users to embed videos, sound files etc from the following third party sites and should cover most display needs: Vimeo, YouTube, Adobe TV, Giphy, Amazon, Appointy, creddle.io, Twitter, Vine, Adobe Voice, Adobe Slate, Blip.tv, Dailymotion, *SoundCloud, Mixcloud, Bandcamp, Scribd, Google Maps, Wufoo, SlideShare, Prezi, Sketchfab, Issuu, InVision and more.
What takes place in a portfolio review?
A faculty member will review the students’ work to determine the skill level of the student, their personal goals for studying art, and their eligibility for a College of Fine Arts Scholarship based on the work that they have submitted.
When are portfolios reviewed?
Portfolios are reviewed on a rolling basis. Contact Lillian Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I schedule a portfolio review?
- Call the Art Department at 217.424.6227
- Email the Art Department Administrative Assistant Lillian Jackson at email@example.com or submit portfolio via Behance.
Do I need to be present for my portfolio review?
It is not required that students be present for reviews. Students who live outside a 200-mile radius of Millikin may submit a portfolio electronically in lieu of a live portfolio review. However, faculty enjoy meeting and learning more about students in person.