Assistant Professor of Education Dr. Ngozi Onuora finds herself most at home surrounded by the imagination and creativity of children’s literature. In the latest edition of “Zooming In,” Professor O shares a look inside her Shilling Hall office and reads one of her favorite books.
- BEANIE BABIES: Strategically placed among groups of books, Beanie Babies keep Professor O company in her office. Onuora began collecting in the mid-90s, when she taught second grade. Many students brought the cuddly critters to class, and when she started collecting a few toys of her own, students and parents offered her Beanie Babies as presents. Her collection now includes an owl, donkey and elephant, just to name a few!
- FANS: Professor O is a fan of fans. Throughout her travels, she has collected several fans as souveniers. One of her favorite fans (at right) was purchased during her 2008 trip to China and features pandas.
- DELTA SIGMA THETA COUCH: This miniature couch is a keepsake from the centennial anniversary of the Delta Sigma Theta sorority, of which Onuora is a proud lifetime member. She joined the sorority as an undergraduate student at Illinois State University.
- GLOBE: Onuora loves to travel. She keeps a globe on her desk as a reminder of the places she’s been and hopes to go. She’s traveled with students to China, Japan and Taiwan. Next on her travel bucket list? Professor O hopes to visit India with students, backpack throughout Eastern Europe or visit her father in Nigeria.
- PHOTO OF CHARLIE: A self-proclaimed “cat woman,” Onuora displays a photo of her beloved pet, Charlie. Though he’s no longer with her, Charlie holds a special place in her heart and on her shelf.
Photography and video by Alida Duff Sullivan ’06.
For exclusive content and features, download the free Millikin Quarterly iPad app.