Each year, Millikin University proudly recognizes alumni and Millikin coaches who have demonstrated exceptional athletic achievements.
Individuals are inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame annually during the fall Homecoming celebration. Inductees are honored at a formal dinner, where they have the opportunity to accept their award in front of family, friends and other alumni.
Who is eligible for the Athletic Hall of Fame?
In order to be considered for membership into Millikin’s Athletic Hall of Fame, the following criteria must be met:
- Must be a Millikin graduate who attended at least two years and whose athletic eligibility expired at least five years prior to being considered for election, or have been a Millikin athletic coach for at least five years.
- Must have conducted him/herself in such a way as to reflect honor on the university and exhibited those qualities of character and standards of conduct most desirable in one who may be cited as an example for young people.
- Must hold a record in one or more intercollegiate sports, or have earned honors on the team, conference, regional or national level, or have made a distinct contribution to sports. (Coaches who do not qualify for the Hall of Fame on the basis of their athletic prowess are eligible for consideration after being a head coach or athletic director for a period of five years.)
If you know someone who fits the above description, nominate him/her for Millikin’s Athletic Hall of Fame. Please submit an online nomination form or download the nomination form and return it in the mail by April 1.
- The selection committee consists of 15 members, plus a representative of the Alumni and Development Office and a representative of the Athletic department. The members are divided into three classes for terms of three years, are subject to reappointment and are appointed by the chair.
- Members present shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at the meeting.
Athletic Hall of Fame Selection Procedure
- Each year, qualified nominees will be considered by the committee with consideration given for national recognition, distinguishing themselves in their profession or field of endeavor, and for spirit and accomplishments in a sport or sports as a Millikin student or coach.
- Voting will be conducted by confidential written ballot. Voting by mail, email or fax shall be considered official.
- A first ballot will be taken with each member being allowed to cast votes for up to one more than half the nominees. A majority of eligible votes shall place a nominee in the finalist category. A two-thirds vote of the committee shall be required on the second and final ballot for approval for induction into the Hall of Fame. Once the final ballot is counted and the vote is determined, all those duly elected will be notified of their selection.
- A nominee not selected the first year on the ballot shall remain on the ballot for up to two additional years, after which the nominee shall be dropped from the ballot if not elected. A nominee may be re-nominated after a one-year absence from the ballot.
- Individuals selected for this honor will receive a recognition award and have their names inscribed on the Recognition Wall located on the west wall of the foyer of Griswold Physical Education Center.
- If, in the opinion of the committee, valid reasons are submitted for the removal of an individual's name from the Hall of Fame, such action may be taken by using the same voting procedure.
What is the timeline for the Athletic Hall of Fame and Alumni Awards process?
Nominations are accepted throughout the year for both the Alumni Awards and the Athletic Hall of Fame.
- April 1 – Nominations are due to the Alumni and Development Office each year.
- May – Committees begin their review and selection process.
- May-June – Final recommendations are passed for presidential and board of trustee approval.
- June – Recipients are notified.
- Aug. 1 – Recipients announced.
- Oct. 5, 2018 – Alumni Awards and Athletic Hall of Fame dinner during Homecoming.