Growing Your Network
We encourage our students to get involved in activities that help them to understand more deeply their chosen profession and that allows for professional networking. There are many professional organizations and associations that offer student members. While not an exhaustive list, we do offer the following suggestions for our students to consider:
Millikin's newest campus organization, Collegiate DECA, is the student chapter of the professional organization Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) and the only Collegiate DECA chapter in Illinois, providing opportunities for competition, networking and leadership development.
Collegiate DECA is an international association of high school and college students studying marketing, management and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality and marketing sales and services. DECA at Millikin is a thriving club. Gaining business experience from managing the concession stands at sporting events to bringing former CEO of Monicals to campus to discuss running a business; DECA does it all. DECA also host events on campus such as Professional Dress Seminar and assisting in the career fair for Millikin. DECA is open to all students and encourages everyone to get involved.
Accounting & Finance
- American Bankers Association: Founded in 1875, the American Bankers Association represents banks of all sizes, supporting the nation’s banking industry and employees.
- The American Finance Association (AFA): The purpose of The American Finance Association is to promote the knowledge of financial economics.
- American Society of Women Accountants (ASWA): The American Society of Women Accountants (ASWA), formed in 1938, provides opportunities for women in all fields of accounting and finance.
- Association for Financial Professionals, Inc. (AFP): The Association for Financial Professionals (AFP) serves treasury and finance professionals.
- International Federation of Accountants (IFAC): IFAC is a global organization, representing 2.5 million accountants employed.
- National Association of Black Accountants: Since 1969, this group has strived to on promote and develop minority professionals in the fields of accounting and finance.
- The Professional Accounting Society of America (PASA): Since 2005, PASA has focused on entry-level and mid-level associates working at accounting firms across America.
- American Marketing Association (AMA): The American Marketing Association (AMA) is the largest marketing association in North America and is a resource that thousands of marketers utilize daily.
- eMarketing Association (eMA): The eMarketing Association (eMA) is the world's largest international association of eMarketing professionals, providing resources and services to the online marketing community.
- The National Association of Sales Professionals (NASP): Since 1991, The National Association of Sales Professionals (NASP) has been committed to developing sales professionals to become leaders in the ever-evolving sales world.
- Sales & Marketing Executives International (SMEI): Sales & Marketing Executives International (SMEI) is the worldwide organization dedicated to connecting individuals in the sales and marketing arenas.
- Social Media Club: Social Media Club is a professional organization that promotes social media literacy. They work to develop industry standards and provide members knowledge of industry trends in the cutting-edge field of social media marketing.
- American Management Association: The AMA provides trainings and valuable resources to ensure business professionals stay knowledgeable in the competitive business world.
- American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS): The American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS) provides research and education and certification programs for supply chain and operations management professionals.
- Entrepreneurs' Organization (EO):The Entrepreneurs' Organization (EO) is a global network working to enhance entrepreneurs’ abilities to be successful by learning and growing from each other’s knowledge and experience.